HybridZ

technotoy brake spacer and brake upgrade PICS included

I wanted to try to upgrade my brakes mainly the S12+8 caliper. However, I ran into so many problems because I tried to piece it together with parts from friends and things I could find on a budget. After a long time of trouble shooting here are my problems that I ran into. All parts needed will be highlighted.

1. The 240z stock brakes S line. These won't fit any set of calipers you get from sumitomo/toyota ones. You will need to bend them but I just chose to delete it. I bought myself some braided brake hose with AN-3 leads and M10x1.0 FEMALE adapters since that's the thread and shape s12w, 12+8, stock etc use.

(2) Brake hose -3AN straight to straight

M10x1.0 female inverted to AN-3 male

AN-3 male to M10x1.0 male inverted

2. What calipers did my friend just give me  :wacko: !!!!

I was given some S12+8 VENTED calipers. This lead to ALL of my headaches. Thanks Man!!! <_<

Some people say that the (S12+8 vented) and (s12+8 non vented) are the same casting but I think that they are slightly different. What that means, simply, the calipers poke out more than your stock ones and the non-vented s12. This made me need wheel spacers because I am running the 14x6 0 offset slotted mag wheels.

(Depends) Wheel Spacers for fitment

3. I ran stock 240z rotors (I have the stock hubs *they are finned*). BUT and this is a big full bodied BUTT. My dumb butt was reading the wrong build. So I had this horrible pad to rotor clearance. I could drive it but the pistons on the calipers were almost popping out.

LOOK AT ATTACHMENT ONE AND TWO.

4. S12+8 vented needed different rotors and those rotors needed a spacer. So basically I am forced to upgrade to vented rotors... oh what a shame :rolleyes: . I ordered some TechnoToyTuning spacers. This is a warning for (S12+8 Vented) people, if you buy the (S12+8vented) you are now doing the same build as s12W guys.

Brake Hub Spacers

300zx rotors 1984 model

LOOK AT ATTACHMENT 3 AND 4.

ANITSIEZE the SH*T out of surfaces that touch

The bolts provided with the Techo spacers where way too short. So had to buy new hub bolts. The thread for the hub bots are M10x1.25 length of depends. I got 40mm.

5. Interesting fact about S12+8 calipers.

So some say that the castings are the same THEY ARE NOT!!!! Look in the attachments. I have pics showing what I mean. I have mixed calipers. Attachment 5 is considered a (S12+8vented) caliper and this shares the same casting as the (NONvented12+8) but notice the metal spacer in between the two sided(circled in red). This means that the caliper will stick out more and may interfere with your wheels and stock rotors will not work well.

Attachment 6 shows a caliper without the spacer but it is also an S12+8 vented. This means the castings although are stamped the same they are different.

6. LASTLY...........

You will need washers to put behind the caliper mounting brackets about 2mm (depends on clearance)

(4) Washers to space out caliper

TOTAL COST 250$ AND A HUGE HEADACHE

post-50676-0-83002300-1467048922_thumb.jpg

post-50676-0-06272800-1467049324_thumb.jpg

post-50676-0-58172400-1467049663_thumb.jpg

post-50676-0-45212900-1467049666_thumb.jpg

post-50676-0-06935500-1467049681_thumb.jpg

post-50676-0-80046700-1467049858_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jazz86

Perhaps this will help: http://www.driven-daily.com/s30-toyota-brake-upgrades

For the Toyota swaps you don't need washers to space anything.  Something is wrong if you do.

Recommend that you do a lot of searching in the Brake and FAQ Brake forums. That should clear things up.

Thanks, that was very informative. The reason for the washers behind the calipers in because of the T3 hub to rotor spacer was a little thick then expected. Looking at past forum posts the spacer seems to be just a hair thicker than others. That seems to be the cause. When I put the calipers on the rotor would touch the calipers. I prefer not to trim the spacers.