HybridZ

How are the SDS installs working out??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi Guys. About a month (or so) ago, SCCA arranged for a group buy of several SDS systems. Most were the "E" model but a few were the "F" setup. I became aware of the deal too late to jump on the bandwagon and have been waiting to see posts as to how the installs are going.

Can those of you who bought the SDS systems let me know how its working out?

Thanks, Dan

Well... it seems good? icon_smile.gif Hehe.

I haven't gone too far in my install yet, though I'm hoping to knock off some more of my to-do list this weekend. Everything seems straight forward and well made, but until I fire it up I really can't comment too much.

One problem I was having was that I cracked my lower thermostat housing when I tapped it out for the water temp sensor. I think from now on when I tap aluminum I'll go 1/64" too large on the drill bit.

Guest Anonymous

Well, I'm getting there. I have the fuel lines and pump installed, have the hall sensor mounted, and am now figuring out some other details.

BTW, mine was an oddball - an aluminum head, cleveland-style, canted valve, 4.1 liter Ford from Australia in a 66 Mustang.

Here's a pic of where I anm right now.

installed3.jpg

installed4.jpg

Still a good bit to do, but this thing should be a pretty decent runner when I'm done.

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: 66coupe ]

Guest Anonymous

Thats a cool looking Ford Six! Is that a Aussie head that fits the American six, or is it a complete Aussie engine? Very cool.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

It's a complete Aussie engine. I had two shipped over last winter with some spare parts. This one is hooked to a T-5. They're very much like the 250ci Ford six, but with a much better head.

Stock, the EFI version makes 165hp @ 4400, but with only minor mods it easily goes to 200 hp. I'm using a very mild 272 cam so I'm looking for only 180-190 hp or so. I have a stouter 292 cam on the shelf if this one is too meek.

The Aussies have turboed these to over 400hp.

Scottie, I'd love to see your Z. I am just south of Oviedo off of Dean Road (Cypress Springs).

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: 66coupe ]

I have to ask... Why? I'm not putting down the swap mind you, just wondering what it was that attracted you to that engine and how you heard about it. That motor looks pretty darned neat and I had never heard of it before. Will you be looking to turbo it in the future or tweak it further? Heh, might have to get together with you and Scottie next time I'm down - love the old Mustangs! I've got family in Cocoa...

Guest Anonymous

Well, the car was originally equipped with a six, so I hopped up the original 200, then went to a 250 with an AOD. Great driver, 165 hp est., ran 15.96@88 at Orlando Speed World several times. And a modded six in a Mustang is an attention getter at a car show.

Then I started investigating and found that the Ford sixes continued to evolve in Australia. So when the 250 started to show its age, I developed a point of contact and arranged to ship a couple of the crossflows over. the ones I got were built in 1986 and 1987. Currently in production is a 4.0 liter OHC inline six that makes 280 hp. And it's an offshoot of this design.

I guess could have dropped in an injected 5.0, ho-hum. Been there, done that - so have a few thousand others. But the WTF factor when you raise the hood on a tuned port injected inline six is tremendous icon_eek.gif, especially when it has a Blue Oval on the valve cover!

So blame it on novelty factor, or my natural tendency to swim upstream, or artistic creativity gone wild. I just wanted something nobody else had, would run great, and would generate some more interest for my Ford Six Forum.

We've toyed with the idea of a turbo for the second engine, but the new owner wants to strap on the Holley 4bbl manifold that we have on the shelf. If he doesn't do it, then I might on the next rebuild. Heck, I've got a 2 bar MAP already!

I do appreciate the advice and tech help I've gotten here, though. You guys are great. icon_biggrin.gif

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: 66coupe ]

Jack,

all of my mandrel bending was done by a shop in N. Ft Lauderdale which I believe is the only mandrel bender in FL. I have a friend here who does great welding and can make anything you want but it will be in sections using pre-bent mandrel pipes.

I will be taking my car to the track tonight if weather permits, so drop by if you are free. I know where you are located and we are close.

Guest Anonymous

I was in Oviedo at the new Lowes getting some hardware when it started coming down. I'll try ot see you ther Friday. Should I look for the Z?