HybridZ

.82 A/R Turbine Housing - Who's running one?

jgkurz

"Elgin Super-Secret Mystery Grind" LOL

Jeff did a nice writeup on the porting of his stocker. Once it was revealed it was cast steel and could be welded up, the fear of cutting through anyplace, or being too thin was easily solved with his MIG...

Turned out nice for a guy doing secret work in the garage where nobody was supposed to work on their cars! It was like getting into a speakeasy back in the day. "Knock Knock" (Little drilled hole opens to reveal an eyeball) "That you? Anybody else around out there?" No (door creaks up)  "Hurry, get inside, I'm not supposed to be working on my car in here!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rossman.

I saw that page but wondered about what he did for the area from ports 1-4 coming into the plenum.

There was absolutely no mention of smoothing or enlarging which is why I thought I may have miss3d a page...

Edited by Brad-ManQ45

• 3 weeks later...

i know this one is out of the league.....

just wondering if a stock L28E .....    will cooperate with a GT30  on 0.82ar ??

going standalone on a fairly stock L28E ( internally - just for now ( low boost ) ) - and thinking if it's gonna spool fine on that ar size ??

any tips would be cool.

cheers guys.

Has anybody but Jeff done the exhaust manifold pressure checks?

My understanding is some of the new Diesels have an exhaust pressure sensor available, and if this is true, I can see adding that to a logging channel, or monitoring it with the EMS will pay dividends in the black art of turbine sizing.

Okay, this is a bit late, but search ebay for "Powerstroke Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor" or "Powerstroke EBP".  

They have approximately a 3.5 bar range, from 34kPa at 0 Volts to 390kPa at 5 Volts.

I'm currently using one for both instrumenting my Turbine Inlet Pressure, and another as my MAP sensor.  Works great as a MAP since I don't pull much vacuum at idle anyway, and it gives me roughly the same boost capacity with better resolution than a 4bar sensor!

A long and skiny tube to a standard map sensor works as long as you don't have a leak near the sensor.

You do have to pick where you are porting the sensor carefully so you don't get problems with venturi effect causing low readings.

If you want to go all out, get a DLP solutions I08 and datalog 8 channels in nistune.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

A long and skiny tube to a standard map sensor works as long as you don't have a leak near the sensor.

You do have to pick where you are porting the sensor carefully so you don't get problems with venturi effect causing low readings.

If you want to go all out, get a DLP solutions I08 and datalog 8 channels in nistune.

I used a piece of brake line tubing for this same purpose with my EBP.  I believe they do something similar in production.

• 2 years later...

I know this is a very old post but I thought I'd add some new data. I finally dusted the cobwebs off the Z and did some back pressure testing. I changed to a new GTX3576R Gen I as stated above but went with a .63 turbine because I made 455whp in the past with a .63 and didn't want to sacrifice driveability.  The new turbo couldn't muster more than 402whp which was disappointed to say the least. I have a custom adapter between my exhaust manifold and the turbo that I tapped for the back pressure fitting. I hooked up a DynoJet sensor on my intake and one on the newly tapped turbo adapter using a brake line as TimZ suggested. At 23.4psi gauge (262.75kpa) I was getting 33.78psi (334.29kpa) at the turbine inlet. The pressures started diverging at 3500rpm and got worse all the way to readline. In the end, I had 10psi worth of back pressure. WOW! 

I have ordered a new .82 turbine housing since that is the only possible restriction. My 3" mandrel exhaust is the same as before. One interesting side note. The GTX35 series turbos from Garret all have the exact same turbine wheel as mine and claim to support up to 1000hp (GTX3584R) The .63 turbine must be for a much different engine because it didn't work well for me. Also, the compressor on the GTX3576R must be moving a ton more air at lower boost vs my old t3/t4 hybrid to create such a restriction. The old L6 is flowing better than I thought. I hope to get back to the 450ish whp with the new turbine. I have seen the EVO and Subie crowd get almost 600whp with my turbo so 450-500 whp should be doable with the MUCH less efficient L6.  Stay tuned..

Edited by jgkurz