HybridZ

Series 1 240z with out vented hatch

Hello, this is my first post in a few years, sold my Zs, but I had to get another Z. This will be my 9th Z in the last 10 years.. I scored a running driving 1971 series 1 240z from a tow yard for $500 a few weeks ago, Couldnt believe it! Made 12/1970 stamped on door jam plate. My question is do all series 1s have the vented rear hatch? Mine does not. I'm wondering if someone swapped out the hatch in the past. Also there is no round vent holes in the body on the sides like the 280s. Did the series 1 just have 2 small emblem holes for an emblem or did somebody bondo the entire vent cavities? Because mine is completely smooth, no sign of a emblem.

For what it's worth, my 12/70 240z has the rear hatch vents. From what I understand though, it was around this time that they were switching over from series 1 to 2 and some cars got early parts, others didn't. My car could have been from the first week of December and yours from the last week, maybe that would have been enough time for the change?

I'm 15981, by the way.

Oh, also, no holes, smooth. The emblem was attached using adhesive I believe.

No, it was attached with two studs. But there is no vent behind it, it's just an emblem.

And yes, ALL series 1 240Zs came with a vented hatch. Someone has either modified yours or swapped it out. Not hard to do, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened.

For what it's worth, my 12/70 240z has the rear hatch vents. From what I understand though, it was around this time that they were switching over from series 1 to 2 and some cars got early parts, others didn't. My car could have been from the first week of December and yours from the last week, maybe that would have been enough time for the change?

I'm 15981, by the way.

17345 and mine has the vented hatch. My guess is that someone swapped it with a later hatch at some point

I'm 15981, by the way.

I have a 12/70.  It has the hatch vents.  I think ryant67 is right in that these were "transitional".  For example, mine has the steering wheel with indentations in the spokes, rather than the one with the holes like earlier ones.

I have a 12/70.  It has the hatch vents.  I think ryant67 is right in that these were "transitional".  For example, mine has the steering wheel with indentations in the spokes, rather than the one with the holes like earlier ones.

You have it backwards. The early steering wheels have solid spokes, whereas the later wheels have holes. The steering wheel in your car in your car is original.

There was nothing transitional about the late series one cars. They ALL had the same steering wheels, hatch vents, and C pillar emblems.

I had a feeling someone may have swapped the hatch out in the past. I was told from the Tow yard that "Tweakers" owned this car before. They got arrested and the car was towed. The cops found meth and needles in the car. There is also some funny wiring jobs going on and black duct tape all over the body, apparently covering up any paint chips where you can see the original blue underneath haha. Fortunately it still has the original solid spoke steering wheel and the compartments behind the seats are intact with factory components. The car also came with a set of Red Recaro Racing seats, in which I might sell or trade for a series 1 hatch and factory 240 seats.

Yes I would like to restore it back to stock or atleast close. It does have a 5 speed tranny so I believe the numbers matching gear box is long gone, but a factory look with modern drivability would be more what I'm shooting for.

Just got done with a few car shows with my 71 Chevelle and now it's time to take the car cover off this 240 and start digging in alittle deeper on what I actually got and need to get it looking and driving great again. I will definitely check out that link Porsch thanks.

post-2207-0-00223200-1469403122_thumb.jpg

post-2207-0-13189600-1469403158_thumb.jpg

post-2207-0-78685100-1469403246_thumb.jpg

Edited by 5 Star Rising

You have it backwards. The early steering wheels have solid spokes, whereas the later wheels have holes. The steering wheel in your car in your car is original.

There was nothing transitional about the late series one cars. They ALL had the same steering wheels, hatch vents, and C pillar emblems.

rturbo 930: I stand corrected. Typed my original response from an airplane late at night and got it backwards.  Yes, early cars had solid spokes.  My 12/70 has holes.  There you go.

My car was originally blue, I scraped alittle paint off the inside of the rear hatch and found that it was green in color, so this hatch is off a later model Z. I will be looking to buy a series one hatch before I paint the car down the road.

I'm currently dealing with some other issues with starting the car now. The car has a aftermarket electric fuel pump on it but can't get it started and keep it running. I put a few gallons of gas in the tank. And I have fuel going to both carbs but it just keeps turning over, if you spray starting fluid into the carbs the car will fire right up but then die out once the starting fluid burns off, I'm wondering if I have some carb issues with the float, needle and seat, clogging or a hole in a gasket.

Also the drivers door looks like it fits wierd or the hinges are bent, it is a Orange door on the inside, I heard only certain year doors are interchangeable. Any way,I will be reading other forum topics about these issues here when I get some more time , I know this post was about the Hatch.

Pics of the hinges?

Regarding doors, only doors from a series 1 car would be 'correct' in that they would have been made with the same gauge metal. 71.5-72 doors are otherwise identical and will fit. 73-76 doors will also fit, but they have a much, much larger beam in the door for safety reasons. I don't know if the door beam changed between 73 and 76.  Weight difference between my 12/70 door and 76 door is about 10 pounds with the newer style beam. 77-78 doors do not fit.

You should post a build thread on here when you get into it.

Very good info. I just got in touch with a Z collector buddy that I haven't spoke with in 5 years, he has a series 1 hatch for me and just about any 240z part I need. Great news! He suggested rebuilding those SU carbs and also mentioned the heavier beams in the doors. It may be that the hinges are different or not aligned if that is possible. When the door is closed you see a pretty good sized gap under the mirror. It's almost like the door needs to go up and in a bit.