HybridZ

Custom LD28 Crankshafts

Z-Dreamer

Minimum purchase appears to be 10pcs.

I've heard that several big name crankshaft suppliers are outsourcing their cores from China and then finishing them here in the US.

I have no problem with Chinese products, IF, they are made properly.

Quality aside - I firmly believe that you get what you pay for - I have a major problem with Chinese business ethics, which is about all I can say without breaking the forum rules.

I'd much rather get a crank made by Kameari (or similar) or something custom made in the US, AUS, or Canada. Europe would be fine too. Not to mention, with that option you can spec the stroke to whatever you want.

The key on this is to get a 'sample lot' -- a lot that you are CLEAR they will be inspected and subjected to rigorous inspection to qualify the supplier for further production. Any forging dies you retain...it will cost money.

They will give you a GREAT product on that test batch.

Thing is, you close your company and reopen under another name as when you try it again the word will be out and they will screw you.

The first runs to get you hooked are always great. It's after that they will 'cost down' the product without your approval nor prior knowledge. This is the biggest issue with doing any sort of ongoing business sourcing items out of China. 

EVERYTHING that happened to the guy in the book "(Poorly) Made in China" happened to me, and several other 'liason engineers'... I had an irritating knack of understanding cultural differences and exploiting them which they found insufferable...mainly because I boxed them in on their chicanery and could not escape. Things like coming in a taxi to the factory instead of their car. Arriving early or leaving extremely late and catching off-spec production or non-approved methods employed.

I was withdrawn from the project there in Shanghai in 2012. Last year I was told to get a China Visa again, because we needed to review "installation, operation, and maintenance practices" due to a warranty cost for product higher than anywhere else in the world. 

I would get a sample run that would suit my needs for the foreseeable future and call it good. I would not go into production there unless I could personally oversee every facet of the operation from start to finish...and that's  not the product they sell "leave it to us we will do it all!"

Read that book: "(Poorly) Made in China"!

http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/2243198/poorly_made_in_china_an_insiders_account_of_the.pdf

I would say my observations are a little different. All of the OEM gas turbine manufacturers have significant Chinese content. Things have changed drastically there in the last 10 years. For the most part, materials, processes, and quality are on par with anyone else in the world, but you have to commit considerable resources to get it. Well defined specs are necessary. And companies like GE assign their engineers to stay there and work the technical problems. Like anywhere, there are good companies and bad ones, and definetly more risk of IP and trade secret loss. The suppliers I manage there are very impressive to say the least. BTW you can buy stuff from India for about 1/2 the price of China. But that is another story.....

Oh and the original subject, if Scat or Callies, or other reputable supplier put their name on it and stand behind the quality, then made in China is no big deal, maybe even better. But I don't think I would buy anything off Ali Baba with unknown quality standards.

@ Clarkspeed,

"For the most part, materials, processes, and quality are on par with anyone else in the world, but you have to commit considerable resources to get it. Well defined specs are necessary. And companies like GE assign their engineers to stay there and work the technical problems."

You just said exactly what I did. Your observations are no different than mine, nor from the book mentioned above.

Unless you have considerable resources there to monitor EVERY facet of production, you will get a great batch initially to hook you into a contract and they will screw you with 'cost down' and argue specifications every step of the way.

2012 is within "the last 10 years". We have had a major manufacturing presence in China since 1990.

@ Clarkspeed,

"For the most part, materials, processes, and quality are on par with anyone else in the world, but you have to commit considerable resources to get it. Well defined specs are necessary. And companies like GE assign their engineers to stay there and work the technical problems."

You just said exactly what I did. Your observations are no different than mine, nor from the book mentioned above.

Unless you have considerable resources there to monitor EVERY facet of production, you will get a great batch initially to hook you into a contract and they will screw you with 'cost down' and argue specifications every step of the way.

2012 is within "the last 10 years". We have had a major manufacturing presence in China since 1990.

Hey, I only said a "little" different. Point being you can get parts from China manufactured to any quality level you desire. But a crank manufactured to the standards of Sichuan Andes may not meet your expectations and shipped in a box packed full of risks.

I have not experienced any bait and hook tactics with my suppliers. But again my products have detailed specifications. It is also a long path to qualification so suppliers that invest into that dont want to lose out due to quality problems.

Did anyone look closely at the pics? The 4th pic down looks like shit. It's also forged, cast and billet.

Also worth noting that the pics are not all of the same crank.  The first pic is of a fully counterbalanced crank, the rest are not.

Incase anyone was curious i emailed them.

Hi ...,

Good day!

Thanks for your inquiry. We are a specialized racing crankshaft manufacturer and supplier in China.

Our LD28 cranks is a hot type and it is billet material.

Regarding what you said about the shot peening and nitrating, they are two of the total processes and it is necessary during the cranks production to make the cranks stronger. ((I asked if they do this and what equipment they use))

And our all workers specialized in cranks production have almost 30-year experience. :)

For the balance equipment, we will send you pictures on next Monday, my friend. ((I wanted a make and model))

Meantime, attached you some our LD28 billet one to refer.

And good news is there is one pcs in stock, Jackson. ((LOL conveniently 1 sample left))

If you have interests to test our quality, we can send it out for you soon after your payment.:)

By the way, can you pls leave your email to contact in time?

Thank you.

Waiting for your reply soon.

Best regards

Lauren