HybridZ

Custom LD28 Crankshafts

Z-Dreamer

They likely make them for a customer in Japan. I noticed a host of different L conrod lengths from a Chinese manufacturer indicating that they are supplying some serious L builds in Japan. 

I laugh at the Chinese parts fear mongering. Like they don't know how to machine a crank or some rods. Very basic work these days with modern CNC tooling and metallurgical practices.  

They likely make them for a customer in Japan. I noticed a host of different L conrod lengths from a Chinese manufacturer indicating that they are supplying some serious L builds in Japan. 

I laugh at the Chinese parts fear mongering. Like they don't know how to machine a crank or some rods. Very basic work these days with modern CNC tooling and metallurgical practices.  

What's your warranty exposure for crap contract fiddling?

You leave them alone, and not watch them like a hawk, and you WILL get screwed. 

Your comment smacks of elitism of process, and that gets your arse BURNED BIGTIME in China!

How basic is moulding rubber? You want a personal story of a 400 HP rubber coupling 'reverse engineered' in Russia and in China?

Our Russian supplier made GREAT parts.

Chinese made some that LOOKED great, and APPEARED identical. And under 250HP performed O.K.

Putting them on a 350 or higher horsepower machine resulted in the Chinese parts literally EXPLODING on the test stand and throwing bits of hot rubber all over at high velocity. 

The Chinese had no bias belts put into the part. The Russians did, just like the OEM. 

The reason I fear Chinese parts is for good reason: I've been there, dealt with it first hand, and seen things burst into flames and result in $500,000+ in liability costs. Thank Gawd it happened IN CHINA where they ACCEPT shite quality and just wanted the machine replaced. In America, there  would have been punitive lawsuits, governmental intervention....

Pish-Posh quality control all you want. You don't know what they will do to cheapen their end of the production process regardless of what you THINK the process specification says. I've seen it first hand. It's not a pretty sight...

They also have 240z length rods required for stroker setups.

https://scandes.en.alibaba.com/product/60217973532-800431158/For_NISSAN_3_1L_L24_L24E_L26_L28_LD28_STROKER_H_BEAM_ROD_5_236_A_SET_6PCS.html

And custom pistons available:

https://scandes.en.alibaba.com/product/60320062448-801319111/Custom_Pistons_for_Nissan_L28_12010_08010_12010_C6421_Piston.html

Should have them price 10 setups of LD28 cranks, with 240z length rods, and custom pistons to make a complete stroker kit.

Why not go atleast 85mm on the stroke, have them reduce journal size to accommodate and pin height?

Why go through all this trouble to just duplicate the ld crank?

PMC has been stuffing 90mm billet crankshaft in l28 blocks for years. Seems like a wasted opportunity to just make a ld28...

Edited by 1vicissitude

wasn´t there some part about getting it to work right first and THEN to try and make it better? ....nice thing with replicating a LD is that you can compare against a LD :)

and the work is not challenging as is, but it´s the mentality that does the trick. Think Hubble Telescope and the mirror ^^ (The operator noticed the error but proceeded anyways)

Edited by Villeman

wasn´t there some part about getting it to work right first and THEN to try and make it better? ....nice thing with replicating a LD is that you can compare against a LD :)

and the work is not challenging as is, but it´s the mentality that does the trick. Think Hubble Telescope and the mirror ^^ (The operator noticed the error but proceeded anyways)

I agree, just stick with a proven setup such as the LD28 stroke length and test the actual durability of the Chinese parts. The main goal here would be a cost effective stroker setup. If you want an all-out max performance stroker kit go with Kameari or call Rebello up and get their custom Brian Crower unit they designed.

For giggles I did a search for Nissan LD28 products on Alibaba.com and a butt load of vendors came up.

With regards to LD28 crankshafts, this one looked interesting. Better information, pictures and they only require a 5 piece minimum order!

They look more professional.

Comments please.

Mak

For giggles I did a search for Nissan LD28 products on Alibaba.com and a butt load of vendors came up.

With regards to LD28 crankshafts, this one looked interesting. Better information, pictures and they only require a 5 piece minimum order!

They look more professional.

Comments please.

Mak

I saw the same this morning when I searched, there are also tons of rod and piston options available.

Tony, maybe we should look into finding a Russian auto parts manufacturer for our cranks?

Actually, Gene Berg found crankshaft people who were supplying VW to make his Berg Strokers. Compared to other stuff out there it was amazing the quality they produced. BMW has to have someone supplying cranks, as does Nissan for inline 6's. It's finding those OEM quality suppliers to sidestream off of for raw forgings, and then import for machining locally. Tariff is lower, and the machining is in a known, controlled environment.

It may cost a few hundred dollars more, but if you put your name on a part, what do you want? I'm sure there are all sorts of warranty and guarantees out there for aftermarket parts... They were summed up brilliantly some time ago in a movie scene:

https://youtu.be/mEB7WbTTlu4

• 5 weeks later...

Speaking of the devil, there's a little experience from the Corvair Side of my personality just popped up regarding failed rocker arms. I can't fathom why someone would not use factory GM Parts....but it led into a discussion about "Custom Chinese Crankshafts" updated within the past three years... Interesting story and links:

https://flycorvair.net/2012/01/15/chinese-crankshafts/

Just buy one of my LD28 crankshafts..... ;)   Made in Japan and tested in a diesel for a couple of miles!

Lol :D

Thanks, but unless your selling it cheap, it would be cheaper for me to find one state side, as shipping would be expensive.

Edited by Z-Dreamer

• 10 months later...

Bump. I totally forgot about my Aliexpress account. This was their reply way back 2016-07-30.

Good day!
Thanks for your inquiry. We are a specialized racing crankshaft manufacturer and supplier in China.

Our LD28 cranks is a hot type and it is billet material.
Regarding what you said about the shot peening and nitrating, they are two of the total processes and it is necessary during the cranks production to make the cranks stronger.
And our all workers specialized in cranks production have almost 30-year experience. :)

For the balance equipment, we will send you pictures on next Monday, my friend.
Meantime, attached you some our LD28 billet one to refer.

And good news is there is one pcs in stock, Jackson.
If you have interests to test our quality, we can send it out for you soon after your payment. :)

By the way, can you pls leave your email to contact in time?
Thank you.

Waiting for your reply soon.

Best regards
Lauren

HPNs1oJ.jpg

Edited by jacky4566