HybridZ

Source for 0.06mm undersize Rod Bearings? Common Practice?

Flexicoker

Anyone know where I can find one 0.06mm (0.002") under rod bearing? I am having a difficult time tracking one down.

Alternatively, what is common practice when going 0.25mm undersize? My crank guy was concerned about the case depth of the journal, and was suggesting that I might have to re-harden with that much of a cut. I haven't heard mention of that elsewhere, and my understanding is that the induction hardening process used produces case depths on the order of millimeters and would be plenty deep to cut .25mm without re-hardening. Thanks for any advice.

Why are you making a 0.002" cut? This sounds like a micropolishing rather than a cutting.

Nissan had them to allow individual journals to be accomodated for wear without a recut. First oversize was 0,25 mm (0.010") and was ground, polished, and new bearings  put in... You are correct on your thoughts about it. Many racers nitrided and did other hardening procedures above and beyond the factory processes for many reasons.

JeffP was on a bent talking to the supplier of the L28 bearings and had a line on some hoarde...which I think he bought for several thousand dollars because he wanted to still match his bearing journals exactly... There may be other hoardes out there.

Edited by Tony D