HybridZ

Jeep Cam angle sensor for L - Series

jacky4566

Inspired by madkaw's idea I went and build a cam angle sensor for Megasquirt 3x. So here is a quick write up on how I did it. 

Please verify all dimensions for yourself as this is only just what worked in my case using the stock dizzy riser thing.

Use a modern Jeep 4.0 Cam angle sensor. It fits directly into the L series dizzy hole. Can be had at wreckers for cheap. This one: http://dgzmd7u6z2by7.cloudfront.net/partimage/CPS/1ACPS00024/large.JPG alt: http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/medium/a1c/30s4601-fro.jpg

1. Cut shaft to length. 60.3mm from the mounting face to the cut worked for me. Could be a smidge more as an afterthought. 
  2. Cut slot for pump shaft. I did this by hand with an angle grinder but you can be a little more professional. *The slot is offset! so measure each side with calipers and keep cutting until its perfect. It helps to have an extra pump shaft for test fitting or pull yours. As measured on the Jeep shaft one side will be 5.85mm at the thickest point and the other will be 4.45mm for a 3.2mm slot. 
  3. Use the Jeep oil pump gear as a retainer. Flip it around and drill a hole (with a drill press! unlike this idiot) for the spring pin. Make sure to keep a small gap of 0.1mm between the gear and the washer so it doesn't bind. 

This will only work with a non-turbo since the turbo have a funky star shape instead of the simple slot.

Wiring is simple:

Orange - 5vref

Black w/ Yellow - agnd

Tan w/Yellow - MS3X cam input. Use internal pullup and set for open collector. 5.2.14.2 in the manual. I still need to scope it out for the correct voltage. 

So far 300km and it works great. no sync loss. 

post-49729-0-66510500-1471805726_thumb.jpg

post-49729-0-42471200-1471805730_thumb.jpg

post-49729-0-53647200-1471807177_thumb.jpg

post-49729-0-94968200-1471807182_thumb.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a modern Jeep 4.0 Cam angle sensor. It fits directly into the L series dizzy hole.

Nice  find, nice work, and odd that it's a direct fit.  How did you figure that out?  Maybe we should start a list of CAS mount dimensions.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked for the signal waveform and had not much luck.

Any idea what the tooth count is?

Not sure why you need this? Im almost certain its hall sensor with a square wave signal.

Just use a pullup and set your voltage cutoff to 2.5v.

Its a halfmoon wheel soo... 1?

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/attachments/f67/80652d1323055504t-camshaft-position-sensor-out-alignment-img_1615.jpg

Edited by jacky4566

Could be a stupid question but: does the key cut need to be in specific (correct) angle for tdc? Or can you program it to ms3?

Normally this would be used in combination with a missing tooth crank wheel to determine engine phase. The sensor can trigger just about anywhere except lined up with the missing tooth.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Im looking for options how to ms my ignition and injection. This on its own is obviously not the solution (would have been a cheap one). Im thinking of going ms3 with expansion board (induvidual ignition with "smart coil" and sequential ignition. Wideband afr adjustments)...

I guess I just have to try and find a turbo dizzy with optical cas or buy a cranck pulley with toothing. Are there any other possibilities? There are unfortunately few 280zx turbo dizzies/toothed cranck wheels in Europe.

How much is a turbo dizzy now $120? Not really worth it for an inaccurate sensor. The shaft wobbles and can be off several degrees when load changes occur. 

IMO the best value solution is a 36-1 wheel mounted to the crank with a long bolt (10.9 grade) and a VR/ Hall sensor $70? Best value for a solid trigger.

madkaw i dont really see the advantage to a flywheel setup, wouldn't you have to balance the wheel after drilling. Unless you have absolute precision in your drill holes. Then you have to muck about with making sure the holes are big enough to detect and the space and how do you handle TDC/ missing tooth?

I guess I just have to try and find a turbo dizzy with optical cas or buy a cranck pulley with toothing. Are there any other possibilities? There are unfortunately few 280zx turbo dizzies/toothed cranck wheels in Europe.

This guy has moved on to bigger stuff, like complete cylinder heads, but he might still have some of these.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/121177-just-finished-a-new-run-of-edis-mounting-kits/

A late 80's Pathfinder/Maxima CAS and distributor can be made to work, kind of like this Jeep sensor swap, but with a little more work on the L6 mounting stand, the hole is 1mm too small, and the stand is 5mm too tall.  Then you could use DIYAutotune's replacement trigger wheels.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/54-mm-optical-trigger-wheel-for-nissan-l28et-or-vg30e/

This guy has moved on to bigger stuff, like complete cylinder heads, but he might still have some of these.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/121177-just-finished-a-new-run-of-edis-mounting-kits/

Thanks! Great info! I just contacted Derek.

Jacky I couldn't agree more :).

Edited by Leskinen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again. More questions...

Could you guys confirm that if I want sequential injection I will need camshaft angle for MS III&MS3x (Can do this with the jeep CAS). But with only (NO cam angle sensor) the 36-1 trigger wheel I can use batch injection and still use the ms3x board injection outputs? But they just won't inject sequentially.

What I would like to have is a system that would control my fuel and spark (and air to fuel ratio). I would like to use the ms3x outputs for injection and induvitual ignition (ls2 coils). Im buying the needed parts little by little:

- I have bought the 36-1 trigger wheel kit from derek (with edis vr sensor)

- I have wideband O2

- I will need (240sx 2.4?) throttlebody (TPS). Will euro 200sx (sr20det) throttle body do the trick too? Can the L28e tb be used?

- I will need ls2 coilpacks

- I will need ms III and the ms3x with suitable wiring

- What sensors can be used from L28e or do they all need to be replaced with newer sensors (water temp, tps...)? Have people installed knock sensors?

Thanks -Juho

Hi again. More questions...

Could you guys confirm that if I want sequential injection I will need camshaft angle for MS III&MS3x (Can do this with the jeep CAS). But with only (NO cam angle sensor) the 36-1 trigger wheel I can use batch injection and still use the ms3x board injection outputs? But they just won't inject sequentially.

What I would like to have is a system that would control my fuel and spark (and air to fuel ratio). I would like to use the ms3x outputs for injection and induvitual ignition (ls2 coils). Im buying the needed parts little by little:

- I have bought the 36-1 trigger wheel kit from derek (with edis vr sensor)

- I have wideband O2

- I will need (240sx 2.4?) throttlebody (TPS). Will euro 200sx (sr20det) throttle body do the trick too? Can the L28e tb be used?

- I will need ls2 coilpacks

- I will need ms III and the ms3x with suitable wiring

- What sensors can be used from L28e or do they all need to be replaced with newer sensors (water temp, tps...)? Have people installed knock sensors?

Thanks -Juho

I think your post gave me cancer...Please make your own thread instead of hijacking mine. 

You need to know the cam phase if you want FULL sequential. You need either the sensor discussed here, the Turbo dizzy, or some device of your own creation. You can do Semi-sequential with just a 36-1 crank which i would suggest if you're not possessed like many of us here. 

- Throttle body is not required. I use the stock TB with a 90s nissan TPS grafted onto it. Just butcher the stock TPS for a mounting plate.

- I will need ls2 coilpacks. Or Toyota coil packs, i think they look much nicer than Coil near plug. 

- What sensors can be used from L28e or do they all need to be replaced with newer sensors (water temp, tps...)? Have people installed knock sensors? New sensors are recommended. Someone here has all the bias information. Do a search. 

-You will need MS3x or mspro for full sequential none of the others have enough I/O.