HybridZ

Did I get Taken?

SloganVZ

Hey Guys! I just bought this 72 240z. I paid $3k for it. The motor is a fresh rebuild L24 and is still on the stand in the engine builders shop. It has a 4 speed that it is coming with and a replacement dash. Did I get taken at that price? I thought it was decent but I asked in a FB group and everyone is telling me that I way over paid. Either way it is done I was just wondering for piece of mind.

No rust? Is the spare dash crack free? If the body is as good as I think it is, plus the rebuilt L24, then I don't think you did too badly. Zs are not $500 cars anymore, especially not in that condition.

I know there are people out there that absolutely must buy for the lowest possible price, but IMO paying a little more isn't the end of the world. I don't know how much longer you might have searched or what you might have paid for a comparable car, but I'd rather pay a little more, and have the car now, than wait and wait just to find a car for a little less money.

Maybe you overpaid, but I wouldn't sweat it, especially if it's rust free. Rust repair is expensive, and it would be good to avoid that.

From your pics it doesn't look like there is very much rust, have you lifted all the carpets, looked underneath the car, checked the doglegs and rockers? If those other areas are as good as the pics you have shown then I would say you got a good deal.  Anything else on the car can be bought or fixed, a rust free shell is a joy to work on.

The motor is a fresh rebuild L24 and is still on the stand in the engine builders shop. 

Depending on who the builder is and how extensive the rebuild was you could have a very good deal.  But if the engine builder is the seller's neighbor, and the shop is his backyard shed, and rebuild means only new gaskets, maybe not so much.

Depending on who the builder is and how extensive the rebuild was you could have a very good deal. But if the engine builder is the seller's neighbor, and the shop is his backyard shed, and rebuild means only new gaskets, maybe not so much.

The builder is a local engine shop that has been in business over 20 years. Its bored .30 over.

A non-rolling "Condition 7" PARTS CAR is now valued at $2,500 with a clapped out engine and in need of total mechanical repair.

Don't invest too much credence on what idiots on FB say, they are clueless. Especially in the US Market where it's inhabited by inveterate bottom-feeders and cheapskates.

That being said, who really cares what anybody else thinks YOU should have paid for YOUR car. Many are just jealous that people who have some money can spend it... they're simply too cheap or not in a position to buy at the market price and therefore snipe.

I personally passed on a 1971 Z432 in 1985 for $3,200 because I could buy a nice late-model S30 for $2400 off a lot with two year JCI inspection. Everybody (the local 'experts') there told me the "old car" was nothing but problems because it was a one-year inspection, blah blah blah...

Let me see, a 1975 Fairlady Z is worth what now?

A 1971 Z432 is worth what now?

I should have told the "Experts" to FOAD and bought the car like I wanted to do and not let others influence my purchase!

Edited by Tony D
  • Like 1

I was going to comment on this yesterday but forgot to and I see Tony's basically commented everything I was going to say. Definitely a good purchase! Remember most Datsun guys are cheap as hell. The Ratsun forums are a thing for a reason.

That being said I'm the same guy who bought a series 1 parts car last week for $100. There are deals out there, but most of them (like mine) require waaaay more effort. Had I not been in college and making more than just enough to pay for school and the occasional trinket I definitely would have bought something closer to your car's condition and price range, instead of the $300 280z that I've now invested about 2k+ into and it still needs more rust repair, needs to be totally repainted, and will still need a suspension/brake refresh after that.