HybridZ

Pertronix Ignitor II / Flamethrower II

Does anyone have any experience with the Ignitor II and Flamethrower II? I just picked up a 71 240z and was wondering if the Ignitor II is worth the extra cash and if the Flamethrower II needs to be run with a ballast resistor to keep the stock tach happy?

Thanks for the help!

Get the part number here - https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/pertronix-ignitor-ii-solid-state-ignition-systems/make/nissan/engine-size/2-4l-2393cc/engine-family/nissan-inline-6-cylinder

Then get the instruction sheet here - http://www.pertronix.com/support/instructions/  The coil specs and other details are there.

You might examine your distributor closely to see if it's worth keeping before you spend the money on a Pertronix Ignitor.  Check the advance mechanisms, bushings, etc.  If you need to replace the distributor there are other ways to go electronic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi P-Funk, I put the Pertronix Ignitor II and Flamethrower II in my '73. I kept the ballast resister, as the instructions indicated this was the way to go with an otherwise stock engine. My tach works fine, but where I really noticed an improvement is when I ditched the old 40 Amp alternator and upgraded to the internally regulated 60 Amp set-up, as detailed on this site in other posts. Open up your plug gap to the max suggested gap (.038 if my memory serves correctly) once you have the higher output Alt. I noticed that it's easier to start cold and seems to rev up a bit more "snappier". But as NewZed points out, you do have options for electronic ignition, but not all are compatible with a stock '71 tachometer.

The iginitor is not supposed to really give "performance" as much as "longevity". The CDI that is usually packaged with the ignitor helps with spark saturation, and firing lean or rich mixes at lower rpms, as well as increased spark energy at higher rpms.

Now, if you rev over 6,500 regularly, there will be a performance gain from the optical trigger that is not deniable when compared to points. Points bounce, sometimes at the worst possible time.