HybridZ

Junk Yard Gem?

So a couple months back I purchased a pair of 280z's! (I intened to have the best of both worlds, with a close to factory restore and putting a built V8 in the other) So far i've been enjoying the restoration process with both of them, minus the common rust problems and the costs of parts which I'm sure everyone deals with who sets out on this endeavour, So after calling every junk yard within a 150 mile radius and placing adds in local classifieds in the same radius. I located another Z (74 260z) that I intended to use for parts, it was located in a junk yard so I expected it to be in pretty rough shape, after talking to the proprietor and convincing him to actually look at the car (considering its a 4 hour round trip) and tell me anything he could about it. Basically it boiled down to driving 2 hours with a trailer in hopes that the car would be worth it, the body had damage and it was missing its motor/transmission which were not any parts I was interested in anyway, seeking interior trim pieces and small odds and ends that are costly and should be reproduced. anyway after haggling I talked the guy down some and came to an agreement, he dug it out of the tall grass in the field and brought it out to the lot, while strapping the car down to the trailer I took note to how little rust there was on this car like the usual stuff, under the battery tray  in the fenders  under the body and surprising there was nothing or minimal surface rust, the owner returned we exchanged money and started to fill out the paperwork the line for the vin # came up I climbed up onto the trailer and read the number RLS30-000134, I was shocked to see this low of a number, Now I have a 3rd Z and I don't know that I wanted a 3rd restoration project I know that people actively seek lower numbers for restoration projects and my original intentions were to get my parts and sell the rest of the car even send it back to the scrap yard if I couldn't sell it. so i guess my question is:

What is this body worth?  understanding its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it

Should i hold on to it for a while and try to restore it down the way?

Edited by Newbie Z

Low number 240Z's are a hot item because they are the first Z cars.  You have a low number 260Z.  Not really the same.  For whatever reason, the 4 and the 8 just look right , and the 6 doesn't do it for many people.  Any good rust-free early body style is probably worth something to somebody though.  You might put it on the market before you part it out.  Make some cash instead.

For whatever reason, the 4 and the 8 just look right , and the 6 doesn't do it for many people. 

What gives you that idea? I've never heard of anyone turning down a 260 just because it's a 260, and a 280 is no more collectible than a 260. They're just a bit uncommon being a one year model.

If the body is in good shape, and it sounds like it is, it's worth money. Sell it, don't send it to be crushed.

My first Z was an early 260. IMO they are much better looking than a 280 with the huge ugly Fed bumpers. Only real bad thing about that car was the flat top carburetors and the massive vapor lock that would happen all the time. Being I was sixteen and this was 1988 (way before the internet) I had no clue that I could have swapped 240 carbs into the car and cured the vapor lock. But looks wise an early 260 doesn't look much different than a 240

Shh, don't tell everyone! :P

+1

:)

What part of Idaho, OP?  I grew up in Idaho Falls.  I think it's a little odd to find a mostly rust free 260Z chassis in a field in Idaho, but if you have, you've found a Gem!  For the Z nuts back East and in the mid-West that's a unicorn.  But, not because of the number or the year.  I'm one of the oddballs that thinks the 260 is the best of both worlds - as long as it's engine swapped...  But in the end, a low-rust chassis of ANY year is worth saving and passing on to someone that needs it.

Edited by cgsheen

I actually got this Z in a field in Montana like I said 150 mile radius it was a 260 mile round trip, I'm located in Northern Idaho near Cour d Alene, Montana has a dryer climate and colder winter I can only assume that is the reason its not very rusty, both my 280s were purchased locally and where in much rougher shape as far as rust goes, only reason I am not abandoning one of the cars i'm currently restoring is that I am not very great with body work, welding in a floor pan or the battery tray dish of the inner fender or something along that nature falls in my skill set, reforming a rear fender is a little farther off my skill set, 

Edited by Newbie Z

The low Vin is just a number, it doesn't add much to the value, but as said it is a 260z vin, which restarted the count in numbers of vehicles.  If the car needs a new read fender, then that's going to be a cut and splice deal.  Not too big a deal, but yes requires welding.  you don't need to hammer and reform of you have a donor.  Rock Auto or Tabco, sells most of these panels. 

The Vin number will add a little to the value for the right person. but again it's just finding that person who is willing to pay a premium for a number.  If you could research and find out history on the car, that'd be worth a lot more.  otherwise it's just a car.

I actually got this Z in a field in Montana like I said 150 mile radius it was a 260 mile round trip, I'm located in Northern Idaho near Cour d Alene, Montana has a dryer climate and colder winter I can only assume that is the reason its not very rusty, both my 280s were purchased locally and where in much rougher shape as far as rust goes, ...

Actually, Idaho Falls is the same way - much drier than most people would think.  And to the West is pretty much high-desert.  It's the Snake River that keeps it watered...

Honestly a lot of guys modify these cars that soon it will just come down to checking the vin to see what it is .

I know a lot of guys with 280s that have 240 front rear bumpers ...240 signals/brake lights front and rear that beside a real 240 it looks exactly the same ....all with drop strokers ...it doesn't matter which s30 you got they all look good and pretty much the same ...come on

The I would rather a 240 or 280 over a 260 only matters in the purist/ crazy low # serious collector world.

Everyone wants a Z now ...any rust free s30z is worth money and the value is just climbing

70s and 80s Porsches were 30-40Gs one year then all of a sudden the prices jumped triple and I think the Zs will follow suit ... One day ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was looking for a 240 for a while. stumbled upon a 260Z 2+2 in running condition, minor rust area on the hatch seat, and had to pull the trigger. it runs and drives. had 90k original miles. i drove away a classic Z owner for $3,000 . Did i mention I drove the Z home and it was a blast to drive? 

:)