HybridZ

Is this normal for a 350 sbc header to glow this red??

Right now it at tdc and even if I advance the timing it still gets red too.. I'm so lost right now.. I took it to the shop and they say that my timing was off by 10 degree.. They didn't say if it was too advance or too retard.. I bring it back to the shop and they can test it again.. To my knowledge that I think, I don't think the shop even touch my car. They charge me 300 and all my setting is still the same as I try to tune it..

The other thing to check is that the timing marks on the balancer are correct. I was about 17 and working as a mechanic and had a car come in that wouldn't idle unless it had 50 degrees BTDC timing or something ridiculous like that. I screwed around with it for a while, then finally pulled number one spark plug put a pen in the hole and turned the crank until I found where TDC was. Turned out the balancer had separated and the timing marks on the outside of the pulley had moved relative to the inside.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean timing is set to when the motor is at top dead center?  If so, that is way too retarded.

Depending on what is done to the SBC, initial timing should be 8 to 20 degrees before top dead center.

I have found that mine has way cooler engine compartment temps with lots of initial timing. What dist does it have? Do you have a vac can? If so, try setting it at 34 degrees full advance without the can, and the hook the can to manifold vacuum, instead of ported vacuum.

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2016 at 7:11 AM, Kado100 said:

My distributor is a Holley 600 Cfm.. I'm still waiting for the shop to reply back to me..

Mine is like this too so it must be a common problem.

Edited by Jiwon

• 1 month later...