HybridZ

obx diff problems

redzedturbo

Hey anyone running a obx lsd in a r200 using the 280zx turbo or 300zx tripod axles? If so is your passenger side axle slightly floppy? Were the axle goes into the diff the last 10-12mm that enters last has a step up on it before the actual tripod housing has play there and the axle can be grabbed and moved up and down some. Its not just me znke has the same problem! Does the small step portion of the axle seat into the diff or does it float and the only thing holding the axle straight is the splines and wire clip? Anyone?

The bearing inner race is the outer support for the axle.  So if you have a stock bearing and a stock axle it doesn't seem like that end would have any "non-stock" action.  Seems like the axle slop would be at the clip end.  Is it rocking on the bearing race, like loose splines, or is the bearing race itself moving up and down?  It's a tapered bearing so shouldn't really move.

The axle has a surface for the bearing and another step for the seal, I believe.  The seal won't support anything.

Do you have any stock diffs to compare to?  Might offer a clue.

post-8864-0-95550700-1474680863_thumb.png

{Xnke at RedZed's House}

The stock diff and the OBX have no measurable difference in the length or style of axle support-it's just the OBX allows the passenger side axle to wobble around when not loaded. This is odd, and worries us, because the driver's axle is solidly retained with no play, all the time. That and the passenger axle makes a shitload of noise when cruising under light throttle, but as soon as you apply any power or increase the loading any, the noise goes away.

We were wondering if this was common for the OBX diffs...because on my '72 it's a LOT of wobble, and the axle doesn't show any wear at all, but I can move it off-axis by nearly 1/8" with one finger in any direction. It does not slide in or out of the diff at all by hand, so my thoughts are that the spider gear is not solidly retained anywhere inside the diff except by the pilot cut on it on one end and the six spiral gears surrounding it. Same with RedZedTurbo's car, both times on the passenger side. I'm running 300ZX CV's, he's running 280ZXT CV's.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are kinda thinking the bad wheel hop at the track caused this odd phenomenon with the passenger side axle play. Thoughts are the spring washer stack got mashed in all the power on off on off stuff. As soon as possible i will be removing mine to check. Possibly replacing with a solid block with a few tho, of clearance on each end like a quaife unit.

Well we are kinda thinking the bad wheel hop at the track caused this odd phenomenon with the passenger side axle play. Thoughts are the spring washer stack got mashed in all the power on off on off stuff. As soon as possible i will be removing mine to check. Possibly replacing with a solid block with a few tho, of clearance on each end like a quaife unit.

Would love to see how that works out. Been suggesting it for years. IIRC, you are a drag racer with a ZX. Need to keep off the bumpstops too. Stiffer springs in rear.

Did you do the standard Rbryant washer fix on your OBX or are you using the stock washers?

• 1 month later...

Well xnke and myself removed my obx to find the axle circlips beat to pieces and that the unit internals were beautiful. The mc master washers were still concave and not worn in anyway after a year of abuse. so it was put back in and we made som axle clips from a air hose coil spring. The wire diameter was slightly larger but worked and seems to retain the axles tighter. all my axle vibe is gone although the passenger axle can still be moved up and down some if you grab it and push it around. Also made a aluminum and poly rear diff mount using 90 deg aluminum angle that was 1/2" thick salvaged from a golf cart and a poly tc rod bushing for my s130 i had left over!!! wooootttt!