HybridZ

240Z 5-speed (FS5C71B) vs 280ZX 5-speed (FS5W71B) transmission

lauko

Hello!

I was searching for a 5-speed transmission to put into my '72 240Z. Although I aimed for a 280ZX box, I have now found an EU 240Z 5-speed, a two-piece-case FS5C71B.

The engine of my car is being built right now and will be a 3.1 NA stroker. I am wondering if the 240Z box will be able to hold the torque. Is a 280ZX box any stronger than the 240Z box?

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by lauko

Great, thanks for the info! About the power...I can't tell anything yet  :D

One more question...the FS5C71B has an 4-bolt output flange, not the splined shaft like the other boxes (including my original 4-speed manual). Is there an easy conversion between flange type output -> spline type output? Is it possible to remove / replace the final output shaft of the gearbox? Otherwise I guess I might also need a matching prop shaft...

Peter

Interesting info regarding C and W versions - and yes your explanation matches with the ratios! Thanks!

Otherwise the 4-bolt driveshafts are as it looks almost impossible to find, so I'll probably go the easy way and keep searching for a 280ZX box...