HybridZ

Rear spindle pin bushing

For the mustache bar bushings burn out the old rubber bushing and leave the sleeve.

Such good advise.  I cut my first one out and had to make a steel sleeve to fit it back in.  I wish Prothane, etc could include just a little slip of paper for instructions like this in the box.  What would it cost them, $0.02?

• 3 years later...
On 9/27/2016 at 4:29 PM, Dirt88 said:

In the middle of replacing original bushings with new poly set.my question is with the rear spindle pin bushings on the a arm it looks like there's an outer sleeve still in the 2 holes does this need to come out or is it part of the a arm

Thread resurrection.  I have the black urethane spindle pin bushing from MSA.  The notes on their website say, "The outer metal sleeve of the factory rubber spindle pin bushing is retained for use with this kit. Urethane Spindle Pin Bushings are oversized and will require a press or vice to install. Please call with any questions prior to removing your stock spindle pin bushings."  Looking at the size of the bushing compared to the control arm with the outer sleeve in, the bushing seems way too big to even press in.   Can someone please confirm how to proceed?

They can change vendors for the same part, and maybe the web description and/or instructions haven't caught up.  When I installed PU bushings (ES, IIRC) on the rear LCAs, I had to completely remove the OEM bushings (including that metal sleeve.)  Hope this helps.

I spoke with Greg at Motorsport Auto today.  They have been using the same vendor for these bushings for many years.  Prothane I believe.  He assured me that the inner sleeve is to remain in and they will PRESS in even though the bushing looks big.  I will give it a try.  Stay tuned.

Edited by adivin

I spoke with Greg at Motorsport Auto today.  They have been using the same vendor for these bushings for many years.  Prothane I believe.  He assured me that the inner sleeve is to remain in and they will PRESS in even though the bushing looks big.  I will give it a try.  Stay tuned.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 7:23 PM, adivin said:

Yep, the quote in my original post is from the MSA page above.  My point is that they look WAY oversized if that sleeve is to be retained.  I'm doubting the accuracy of this statement.

You should, the original outer metal piece of the stock bushing has to come out to fit either Prothane or Energy poly bushings. I've done several in the shop - it has to come out. I installed Energy poly in my personal 260Z (Goldie) nearly 10 years ago (and, yes, I cut that barrel out - with a sawzall (but, I'm careful) and, I daily drive my car)).

Please don't hit that with a hammer anymore. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cgsheen said:

You should, the original outer metal piece of the stock bushing has to come out to fit either Prothane or Energy poly bushings. I've done several in the shop - it has to come out. I installed Energy poly in my personal 260Z (Goldie) nearly 10 years ago (and, yes, I cut that barrel out - with a sawzall (but, I'm careful) and, I daily drive my car)).

Please don't hit that with a hammer anymore. 

This conflicting info is a real bummer.  I wonder why MSA is saying this?  They have used Prothane exclusively.