HybridZ

My 1971 supercharged v8 240z

I've decided to do a write up of my datsun and its evolutions in hopes that it can help people who want to tackle similar projects. My search began for a datsun when i was 17 (I'm 18 now) i had saved up some cash and wanted something cheap and fast. The idea of a v8 in a 240 seemed like a match made in heaven to me so i narrowed my search to that and found one. Although it was cheap it ran and drove and had a chevy 327 in it with a good cam, but had some problems i wanted to address. But, i would like to add that the car was very original (except the engine) and it had zero rust. first off, it had a 2 barrel carb on the stock iron intake manifold, why they would go to all the trouble of the swap and then not change to a four barrel is beyond me. so i quickly ordered a edelbrock alum intake and edelbrock 4 barrel. through the next couple of months i fixed things here and there, added carpet, cleaned things up, but mostly tried to get it to run perfect (sorry lost the pics of what it looked like originally). Later i changed the wheels and tires from the stock steelies to bassett 15x8s and some dunlop performance tires. then i decided that i wanted to add a twist to it so i used the money i had saved to buy a weiand 144 (against my fathers wishes lol), while the mini blower was good, there were some draw backs, first it had low end torque but petered out, second i would have to cut open the hood and ruin the sleeper look i was going after. So after some research and selling my 144 set up i bought a vortech v3 centrifugal supercharger which i am currently still installing. As for fuel, i bought the Fitech power adder 600, which can handle 25 lbs of boost and is self managed. i will add pics here as i update because i have a lot of changes coming up soon (350z leather seats, tokico springs, air dam, and possibly paint). i have yet to paint the car although i might soon but as of now i think it has a cool patina. i will also try to be detailed about the vortech install because i have yet to find a write up of one in a 240.

post-51657-0-52703500-1475975173_thumb.jpg 

post-51657-0-37589800-1475975209_thumb.jpg post-51657-0-11709100-1475975205_thumb.jpgpost-51657-0-12508200-1475975200_thumb.jpgpost-51657-0-44507400-1475975195_thumb.jpgpost-51657-0-54666500-1475975190_thumb.jpgpost-51657-0-39705800-1475975186_thumb.jpgpost-51657-0-15385100-1475975182_thumb.jpgpost-51657-0-36464200-1475975177_thumb.jpgpost-51657-0-35863200-1475975171_thumb.jpg

Edited by maximus35

Well, you chose a dam good car to start out with at such a early age. Sounds like you have the smarts to turn it into a thumper. Just do alot of reading here on HZ, and you will learn what and how to make it a sweet ride... :2thumbs:

Thanks man much appreciated. I love reading all the articles on here it's the quickest way to learn anything but I kinda freaked out when I found nothing on a vortech install but I just sorta pieced it together and guessed lol

The patina on your car definitely works. I think the car looks good and if the car is basically rust free, I would hold up on the paint job and focus on basic repairs and the performance side first. It is amazing how much money you can pour into these things.

The patina on your car definitely works. I think the car looks good and if the car is basically rust free, I would hold up on the paint job and focus on basic repairs and the performance side first. It is amazing how much money you can pour into these things.

So true, I've put a lot into the internals but I'm waiting on the paint job

Made some more progress today on the vortech install but ran into a few problems, also installed the fitech today and hooked up some wires but not all. Overall it looks like a great system very clean and simple but wiring isn't my strong suit. Hoping to have the install finished up and cranked on Monday or Tuesday.

post-51657-0-76556600-1476072992_thumb.jpg

post-51657-0-86920700-1476073015_thumb.jpg

post-51657-0-67043600-1476073032_thumb.jpg

Edited by maximus35

Made a fair amount of progress today, welded and hooked up the o2 sensor. Hooked up a lot of the other wires only have like 3 left. Things left to do, change distributor to a conventional 2 wire dist (msd pro billet), wire in the coil, bolt in, plumb and wire the fuel command center, and wire to the battery. The reason why im changing from an HEI distributor to a 2 wire one is to utilize the timing control feature from the Fitech unit and also to handle boost. So basically I need to lock the advance on the distributor and phase the rotor 10 degrees (reminds me of when I turbocharged my vw rail buggy lol). So all in all I hope to crank it up tomorrow but who knows shit happens lol

Well I finished the wiring today it still needs to be neatened and trimmed but it's there. Still have to hook up the fuel command center and some other misc. items so in short, could not start it today because I have to go back to school. Although I almost finished it, attempting this in one weekend was a little overwhelming lol.

So. Close. Installed and plumbed the entire fuel system, finished the wiring (needs to be neatened a little more) but overall the only things I need to do now is get spark wires and a different pulley for the water pump but I'm sure I'm forgetting something lol.

Here's an updated pic with the bov

post-51657-0-29629600-1476402354_thumb.jpg

Can you give some details on your fuel system?

It's the Fitech power adder 600hp, the power adder version is built for boost applications it can handle 25 lbs blow through or draw through and nitrous. I'm still running the mechanical pump on the engine and the stock tank with no extra pump, what I used instead was a Fitech fuel command center which boosts the pressure up for fuel injection applications, basically it allows you to keep using your stock pump and everything.

• 2 weeks later...