HybridZ

280zx's with Ls swaps

On 12/26/2018 at 9:09 AM, Spike243 said:

Do you have the part # for that pan by chance? I'm looking into a swap on my s130 and I am trying to find what pans everyone has been using.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:55 AM, LS130 said:

In for the same info. I am assuming the OEM GM LM7 pan wont work. Thing seem pretty long.

The pan is jegs 555-50229 and was $240.94. Its good quality. The down side is that it uses a remote filter. I got their easy kit which comes with everything need for the install. 

This pans front sump is 3/4 inch deep plus aluminum thickness. I hope this helps with your own research. 

• 1 month later...

Ok guys I am using stock GM manifolds because I don't wanna run headers. So the driver side is a Caddy CTSV and the Passenger is an LS2-LS3 Vette manifold and the oil pan is the holley 302-3 turbo pan. The steering shaft is getting a u joint, The passenger side looks like it doesn't clear but it does. The stud clears the frame rail as far as height goes by an 1 1/2" also using Dingo s30 mounts and raised them by 1/2"

IMG_1499.JPG     IMG_1490.JPG

Edited by Black S130

• 3 weeks later...

i used an aluminum rad from JTR. i think you would be good with any aluminum rad. they are not too expensive. and a flex a lite fan with a plastic shroud. i forget the part number but they had one that was real close to the size of my rad.it is just a large single fan with like a S-shaped blade andgallery_24014_1726_776539.jpg the shroud was nice cause it wasnt just flat sheet metal. in my eyes, the fan is just as important. i paid just over $200 for the fan. but it has never over heated yet. you might be ok with a flat sheet metal shroud if you want. but i suggest that you dont just zip tie a couple fans to the rad

I have what seems to be a decent size alum rad currently in mine. Just need to rip the engine out w/ the belt driven fan and figure out what size fan/shroud I can mount to it.

For those running fuel cells? Which one did you go with? I am not sure if I want to use the stock datsun tank still or just run a 15gal fuel cell in the back with a sump and external pump.

i try not to be the only one that chims in here but if i was doing my gas tank over i would use stock tank and modify the sending unit to except a intank fuel pump. they have nice ones now that you control the depth of it to insure you get to the bottom of the tank. i have not figured out a great setup for the fuel gauge to work properly yet. i just go by how many miles per tank i get. the gauges i made a piece of ABS plastic to fit in were the original cluster sits. and the 3 little pods except autometer smaller gauges with little mods.i go into detail what i did to my gas tank and the gauges i used on page 1

Hi guys. I went with the Jegs 20 gallon fuel cell from Jegs. I was going to try to keep the tank stock but it was sitting with fuel in it for 20 years and it was so rusty and gummy I couldn't get it clean enough. When I looked for another tank and sending unit, everywhere I looked they wanted $300 for the tank and $300 for the sending unit. When I found the Jegs fuel cell, they wanted just $300 for both tank and sending unit. So to me it was the cheaper better route. But I'm also building a GT car out of mine, so not a lot is going to stay stock anyway.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:28 AM, G-Tech said:

i try not to be the only one that chims in here but if i was doing my gas tank over i would use stock tank and modify the sending unit to except a intank fuel pump. they have nice ones now that you control the depth of it to insure you get to the bottom of the tank. i have not figured out a great setup for the fuel gauge to work properly yet. i just go by how many miles per tank i get. the gauges i made a piece of ABS plastic to fit in were the original cluster sits. and the 3 little pods except autometer smaller gauges with little mods.i go into detail what i did to my gas tank and the gauges i used on page 1

Yes the stock tanks are good..I modded the pickup and installed a walbro 255L and will be using the corvette filter regulator assembly and -6 to the rails. Damn im ready to get it on the road.

I am just going to reuse the radiator that is currently in the car, has a trans cooler in it as well apparently so I am going to try that out also for the 4l80e. Should have the old engine pulled tonight/tomorrow morning, then I will be dropping the 5.3 and 4l80e into it and getting things wired / buttoned up.

Just wanted to give everyone a little update on my swap progress. I got the JTR motor mounts installed, chevy smallblock to LS adaptors installed, and the engine sat in the engine bay. I need to do some adjustment to the engine position but so far everything is looking good! I am seriously toying with the idea of going turbo right away. I looked into using the truck manifolds and cutting the stock flange off and welding a Vband in its place. Does anyone have any insight on how to route exhaust in this case? I am thinking of going up-forward with the stock manifolds to the turbo and then from the turbo down the passenger's side of the block and then out. Any thoughts on this? I think that as of now, I have 2 big hurdles.  

1. Mounting the 4L80e I have (Not too sure how to make a mount the tunnel or to the framerails ).
  2. Routing of all exhaust

Anyways, here are some pictures of the swap so far.

Photo Mar 12, 7 47 00 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 47 27 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 49 14 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 49 27 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 50 08 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 50 24 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 50 40 PM.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anymore updates ?

On 3/12/2019 at 9:38 PM, Spike243 said:

Just wanted to give everyone a little update on my swap progress. I got the JTR motor mounts installed, chevy smallblock to LS adaptors installed, and the engine sat in the engine bay. I need to do some adjustment to the engine position but so far everything is looking good! I am seriously toying with the idea of going turbo right away. I looked into using the truck manifolds and cutting the stock flange off and welding a Vband in its place. Does anyone have any insight on how to route exhaust in this case? I am thinking of going up-forward with the stock manifolds to the turbo and then from the turbo down the passenger's side of the block and then out. Any thoughts on this? I think that as of now, I have 2 big hurdles.  

1. Mounting the 4L80e I have (Not too sure how to make a mount the tunnel or to the framerails ).
  2. Routing of all exhaust

Anyways, here are some pictures of the swap so far.

Photo Mar 12, 7 47 00 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 47 27 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 49 14 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 49 27 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 50 08 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 50 24 PM.jpg

Photo Mar 12, 7 50 40 PM.jpg

9 hours ago, LS130 said:

Anymore updates ?

I have made some progress on the project lately. I ended up using the transmission mounts provided in the JTR 280zx small block swap kit. I had to drill holes in the tunnel and "massage" the tunnel with a hammer. I do not have the transmission fully bolted up but the mounts are finalized and I am doing some work on the transmission itself and the engine right now. I can say that a lot of "clearance" work has to be done to the tunnel to make everything fit nicely. I may be able to get the transmission and engine mounting finalized and pictures taken this weekend. I also got my turbo this week so I will be figuring out how to mount and pipe that bad boy soon.

On 3/28/2019 at 5:20 PM, Spike243 said:

Thank you for the update. Curious to see the pics of the massaging done.

On 3/28/2019 at 5:20 PM, Spike243 said:

I have made some progress on the project lately. I ended up using the transmission mounts provided in the JTR 280zx small block swap kit. I had to drill holes in the tunnel and "massage" the tunnel with a hammer. I do not have the transmission fully bolted up but the mounts are finalized and I am doing some work on the transmission itself and the engine right now. I can say that a lot of "clearance" work has to be done to the tunnel to make everything fit nicely. I may be able to get the transmission and engine mounting finalized and pictures taken this weekend. I also got my turbo this week so I will be figuring out how to mount and pipe that bad boy soon.

• 1 month later...

On 4/1/2019 at 8:23 AM, LS130 said:

Thank you for the update. Curious to see the pics of the massaging done.

It's been a little while since an update but I do have good news. I now have the 4L80 and the 5.3 mounted in the car. After the modifications to the tunnel, everything fits very nicely. I don't have pictures right now but I will grab some soon. 

Personally, I put the Tanks Inc sump and all in my stock tank, got the idea on this forum.  Would not go any other way.  Not super cheap but it just works and works well.  Clean install no starvation issues, and relatively quiet. Pics on build thread. HTH, JMHO, Richard. 

• 3 months later...