HybridZ

1j-vvti/Ar-5 Build

joa_taste

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh I know. I'm interested to see what they look like. Will keep trying to fix my side mirror on the passenger side. I just like the fact that the mirrors are fully adjustable OEM, so the quality is better than what I have at the moment.

The issue with the tranny was the clutch disk being a bit too thick. It was pushing on the crank a little making it hard to turn. The disk was grinder down a bit to suffice. Still has a lot of life.

Some people have. Non bullet style mirrors look really off. I saw two cars with square ones this weekend and it definitely didn't match. The thin motorcycle one make them look like bug eyes on antennae I would vote not to. 

This is a true story, I was there. Don't do it. It's just wacky and doesn't fit with the style on the rest of the car. 

This is a true story, I was there. Don't do it. It's just wacky and doesn't fit with the style on the rest of the car.

Awww man. I was hoping I solved my issue if not being able to see lol. Ah well.might mess around and put them on for shiz and gigz. Edited by joa_taste

I mean you are welcome to try lol, your car and if you are chasing function then that is more important after all. I'm honestly thinking of moving my mirrors back to the doors. Only reason I'm hesitant is I spent so much time shaving them. Fender mirrors do get in the way when you are digging around in the engine bay.

Have to say car sounds very good sir.

I mean you are welcome to try lol, your car and if you are chasing function then that is more important after all. I'm honestly thinking of moving my mirrors back to the doors. Only reason I'm hesitant is I spent so much time shaving them. Fender mirrors do get in the way when you are digging around in the engine bay.

Have to say car sounds very good sir.

Thanks, I've always liked the sound of surge, even tho it's bad.

I did put one mirror on since I need to try and source out more bolts(the bolts are m10x1.25 reverse thread) lol wth. I put one on and it doesn't look as bad as I thought. I'll post a pic when I get the two on.

What model seat is this? The color of it looks like it matchs my dash perfectly!

great progress so far, looking forward to seeing a couple pictures of the whole car.

Thats just a regular NRG seat I believe, they usually look like that so I'm not sure the exact model differences.

They are inexpensive, just a little too high sitting for my liking, might drill a hole to make it lower on the brackets.

Thank you. Will definitely post of the whole car when finished.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE**

Nothing too crazy this go around. Just did the little list of things for myself last week.

-changed FMS/Alternator

Stumbled upon a tool a friend used to remove his FMS/RMS this tool is the tits. 

Got it at home depot for $.49, its a paint can lid opener tool doohickey thingy. lol. Anyways it worked better than a flat head for me. 

post-22336-0-33975900-1503554795_thumb.jpg

-Fixed headlights/turnsignals.(rewired turn signals to the OEM area, got the idea from a members thread) All this was present but since I did the swap none of the lights were working.

post-22336-0-47032400-1503554889_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-12476000-1503554910_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-61079300-1503554928_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-05162300-1503554946_thumb.jpg

Not using my reverse lights so I jumped them to each sides turn signals. My driver side bulb harness for the reverse light was burnt out, so I cut the old bulb harnesses out and used a universal harness from auto zone. Used the stock bezels, macguyvered the bulbs harness into the stock harness lol.

post-22336-0-37123700-1503555578_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-06965900-1503555591_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-97407800-1503555601_thumb.jpg

-Changed over the Cell, of course I bought something a little bit bigger than the spare tire area..of course  :bonk:  So I switched this system over, contacted my welding buddy to weld over the spare tire and mounted the cell in its new location. Sprayed the outside of the weld with some "Great Stuff Foam" and sanded it down.Rerouted wiring for sender off the T3 harness bar. And did some hardlines...almost done...Still waiting on a couple of fittings. I tell you, i should've just went steel braided. Installed a 100 micron Fuel filter, didn't have one before so its inline pre pump. 

post-22336-0-86528500-1503555208_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-66606400-1503555196_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-14441900-1503555171_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-70890200-1503555218_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-76452700-1503555232_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-95919900-1503555159_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-78874600-1503555129_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-98887300-1503555826_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-34909500-1503555953_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-88863500-1503555918_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-82637200-1503555996_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-06158800-1503556006_thumb.jpg

-Lol okay so I put the Grom Mirrors on... I actually like them, they don't look half bad to me. Fully functional/Maneuverable. i think I'm sold on these, going to keep them on for awhile. Let me know what you guys think.

post-22336-0-18767300-1503556054_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-45249100-1503556064_thumb.jpg

post-22336-0-24771000-1503556075_thumb.jpg

-Map sensor is still in the works. My idle issue has gotten worse. After changing the Map sensor with a new one now my car turns on for a split second then turns off. Which makes me really believe its the Map sensor...or the Iacv. Heard these are common issues with needing to be cleaned. So took mine off and cleaned it. Didn't fix my issue, so I tested the 3.5 bar sensor and to my avail, I'm not getting 5v. Which tells me the map isn't even on. Ran out of time on this one, will have to go back out this weekend and track down where my buddy tapped into on the harness. 

post-22336-0-84940400-1503556128_thumb.jpg

the grom mirrors looked good, how are they for visibility? Really liking the hood as well, will the hood stay red or do you have a paint job in the future?

Thank you, the grom mirrors are really good. Bigger than my bullet style and I the mirrors are on a swivel so you can move it however you want. I can actually see behind me now. My old mirrors were cheaply made, so the difference is night and day. 

Im keeping the hood as is, I thought I were going to switch over to an all black carbon one. But the dent in the front i feel gives it a bit more character. Also the faded red kinda grew on me as well lol

The home depot one kind of sucks since it went to a flat end instead of a curved one. The curved one you could slide in between the crank and the seal, the flat one you have to do it like it says in the manual and cut a slit and stick it in and pry out if you don't want to knick anything.

Make sure to clean that area really well, very lightly FIPG the outside and very lightly grease the inside. It is tricky to hold after, but apparently really worth it in the long run.

I really like doing the high beam switch like that, gets rid of that whole right assembly especially if you have another switch for the turn signal.

Hmm most bullet style mirrors are adjustable as well. You just undo the little slotted screw in the front and rotate and relock.

No vibrations? Mine you can barely tell any shape in them, I imagine yours with the longer stem would be even more shaky.

Honestly though not bad. I do think they are a tad long, but can't imagine they would look better being shorter nor any more functional.

Your fuel cell just sits in the car? I thought that was really no bueno. 

The home depot one kind of sucks since it went to a flat end instead of a curved one. The curved one you could slide in between the crank and the seal, the flat one you have to do it like it says in the manual and cut a slit and stick it in and pry out if you don't want to knick anything.

Make sure to clean that area really well, very lightly FIPG the outside and very lightly grease the inside. It is tricky to hold after, but apparently really worth it in the long run.

I really like doing the high beam switch like that, gets rid of that whole right assembly especially if you have another switch for the turn signal.

Hmm most bullet style mirrors are adjustable as well. You just undo the little slotted screw in the front and rotate and relock.

No vibrations? Mine you can barely tell any shape in them, I imagine yours with the longer stem would be even more shaky.

Honestly though not bad. I do think they are a tad long, but can't imagine they would look better being shorter nor any more functional.

Your fuel cell just sits in the car? I thought that was really no bueno. 

Yeah I've read that the common issue with these motors is the Iacv needing a cleaning. Didn't know it was such a common issue for this motor.

I have yet to drive the car with this new setup of fender mirrors. Mine old ones were cheap knock offs ill have to admit, so I'm not sure how the good ones are as far as adjustability. I was able to unscrew a screw and adjust the mirrors left to right, but with these Grom mirrors they are on a swivel so they can move left, right, up, down, etc. etc. how ever you want. They are a bit higher tho, thats the only con i have about them.

Yeah I know having the cell in the car is a little ahhh, but seeing other builds i've seen a few people run it this way. Plus I didn't want to have to make brackets for the fuel cell under the car. I am glad its up a lot more since its a bit aways away from the exhaust system.

Yea mine does prohibit a traditional exhaust to some aspect, granted I shoot my exhaust out the passenger side so not as big of a deal.

The aspect of having a fuel cell in the car would be:

1. Annoying, all that sloshing fuel, and if you have the return going to the top of the tank all the dripping sounds

2. Dangerous, not mentioning the sure fire hazard, but a full fuel cell is a lot of mass, on the brakes it is going to have to fight a lot of mass to keep that from moving.

3. Performance, you are shifting the weight up about 2 feet in the car.

Yea mine does prohibit a traditional exhaust to some aspect, granted I shoot my exhaust out the passenger side so not as big of a deal.

The aspect of having a fuel cell in the car would be:

1. Annoying, all that sloshing fuel, and if you have the return going to the top of the tank all the dripping sounds

2. Dangerous, not mentioning the sure fire hazard, but a full fuel cell is a lot of mass, on the brakes it is going to have to fight a lot of mass to keep that from moving.

3. Performance, you are shifting the weight up about 2 feet in the car.

Hmm touche'. Didn't think about that. Figured the car would be too loud to hear the slosh and dribble.

After the cars on, I can barely hear the fuel pump.

This is why I need to get a full cage, and possibly a bash bar in the rear. Still waiting on the fuel straps.

Edited by joa_taste

I'm planning a cell for my car as well, and my research echo's jester's, and that having it in the car is not ideal. Just filling it will cause the interior to smell like fuel for a bit, which isn't fun either.

I want to do a cell that's more rectangular with an angled filler neck towards the right side. This would let one plumb it to the factory filler location.

How is the headlight rewire done? I've seen the thread about rewiring the signal lights, but not the headlights.

Oops I meant left assembly. The combo switch on the right houses the wiper switch which has several positions and the headlight switch so it is a bit harder to get rid of. You could do it though. Just a matter of where you put the switches and what functions you want to keep. 

A full cage is really not a good idea if you plan on driving on the street, which I imagine this would be for since I don't think any club or track association would pass tech with a fuel cell in the passenger compartment. 

Bash bars also really aren't designed to take hits really. They are designed to collapse to a certain extent for sure, but they aren't really an exo skeleton which is what would be required if you were aiming for the safety aspect.

I too was really concerned with the fuel smell, but haven't had to deal with it. I think the AN line helps quite and making sure the vent points outward helps.

I'm planning a cell for my car as well, and my research echo's jester's, and that having it in the car is not ideal. Just filling it will cause the interior to smell like fuel for a bit, which isn't fun either.

I want to do a cell that's more rectangular with an angled filler neck towards the right side. This would let one plumb it to the factory filler location.

I've seen a few people do this. I like the idea but i chose to go another route. Keeping the factory filler was the main thing that I wanted to do but thought against it, when it came to doing my fuel system. 

How is the headlight rewire done? I've seen the thread about rewiring the signal lights, but not the headlights.

I rewired it prior to the swap to its own individual route. Just wasn't hooked up. I jumped it off the signal light on the OEM headlight switch.

Oops I meant left assembly. The combo switch on the right houses the wiper switch which has several positions and the headlight switch so it is a bit harder to get rid of. You could do it though. Just a matter of where you put the switches and what functions you want to keep. 

A full cage is really not a good idea if you plan on driving on the street, which I imagine this would be for since I don't think any club or track association would pass tech with a fuel cell in the passenger compartment. 

Bash bars also really aren't designed to take hits really. They are designed to collapse to a certain extent for sure, but they aren't really an exo skeleton which is what would be required if you were aiming for the safety aspect.

I too was really concerned with the fuel smell, but haven't had to deal with it. I think the AN line helps quite and making sure the vent points outward helps.

Seattle jester you always got me rethinking things i've already done lol. but i always dig the input. 

Yeah its a street car, i know some type of cage is in the future. i feel like any hard contact with anything my car would be toast.