HybridZ

RB26 turbo vs NA

datsundave

I'm starting to work on my 71 240z, I have wanted to build a RB26 for a long time. Lately I have been considered building a naturally aspirated RB I dont know that there is a right or wrong, just different. Cost difference? Performance? Rough Hp differences? Thank for all the input. If there a wright up somewhere please share a link.

You will probably have more luck with traditional Nissan forums: nicoclub and skylineowners come to mind. 

I know the RB26 heads were built for turbo so it would be my recommendation to only attempt this build if your really set on it. An N/A RB while a cool design, isnt winning awards. The early results of the FuguZ only put out 220hp (Supposedly up to 300 on E85 and more dyno time).

I own an RB25DE with ITBs. It has more power than a stock L28, but its not turbo power. The sound and the cool factor is really what I went for. I started with a NA short block, which is a way cheaper option than gutting an RB26 block. I am using an RB26 head and ITBs, but I lived in Japan when I built this motor and I had access to much more parts than here in the US. If you want open air ITBs, like with trumpets or velocity stacks, then aftermarket ECUs are a must. The factory RB25DE has 200hp in the R34 NEO motor, the RB25DET has 250/280hp in the R33/34. Unless you want to keep the factory turbo setup, the RB26 isnt worth it for a swap.

20160131_160232_zps2ascyjdx.jpg

20160131_160711_zpsbxejaxhn.jpg

If you're looking for an NA inline-6, I think the 2JZ-DE out of a Lexus would be easier and cheaper to obtain. As it was availible in the US, parts for it are probably easier/cheaper to get as well.

...of course you could always go the German route like a crazy person...

If you're looking for an NA inline-6, I think the 2JZ-DE out of a Lexus would be easier and cheaper to obtain. As it was availible in the US, parts for it are probably easier/cheaper to get as well.

...of course you could always go the German route like a crazy person...

Having owned both n/a 2JZ and n/a RB the power delivery is quite different. The 2jz has really good low / mid range power and torque and falls on it's face in higher rpms. The RB has good power all around the rev range and pulls hard all the way until red line. Both are going to be 180-200 hp and with a bunch more money 20-40 hp if your lucky. The 5 speed transmissions in the 2j's (from the is300 at least) have issues and just don't feel right, it's one thing I hated about my IS300. I personally like the RB motor over the 2J, it feels stronger, sounds better, and it's Nissan for god sake!

The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want out of the car? A track car? Sunday driver? No one here can tell you whats right for you. Do your research, make a game plan. Execute.

Having owned both n/a 2JZ and n/a RB the power delivery is quite different. The 2jz has really good low / mid range power and torque and falls on it's face in higher rpms. The RB has good power all around the rev range and pulls hard all the way until red line. Both are going to be 180-200 hp and with a bunch more money 20-40 hp if your lucky. The 5 speed transmissions in the 2j's (from the is300 at least) have issues and just don't feel right, it's one thing I hated about my IS300. I personally like the RB motor over the 2J, it feels stronger, sounds better, and it's Nissan for god sake!

The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want out of the car? A track car? Sunday driver? No one here can tell you whats right for you. Do your research, make a game plan. Execute.

In stock format I agree with you!

I'm running with a 1jz/stock turbos, 3" downpipe/exhaust with a standalone end agree with you on the bottom end. Pulls like a TRUCK!The top end is slightly lacking BUT with the free flowing exhaust I found it made a big different.  I am pushing 340 hp at the rear wheel at 12 PSI boost.  A turbo can easily change the feel and response of a car! The stock turbos on the 1j/2j were built for low / mid range power which makes them a remarkable street engine. If you want more than 340-360 to the rear wheels then yes, upgrade turbos to single and work on the system.

In stock format I agree with you!

I'm running with a 1jz/stock turbos, 3" downpipe/exhaust with a standalone end agree with you on the bottom end. Pulls like a TRUCK!The top end is slightly lacking BUT with the free flowing exhaust I found it made a big different.  I am pushing 340 hp at the rear wheel at 12 PSI boost.  A turbo can easily change the feel and response of a car! The stock turbos on the 1j/2j were built for low / mid range power which makes them a remarkable street engine. If you want more than 340-360 to the rear wheels then yes, upgrade turbos to single and work on the system.

WOW 340rwhp @ 12psi on stock turbos and 2.5L is Amazing! I had no idea they were capable of that much on stock turbos, and if so, i'd have thought it'd take 18+psi. I wish the RB's came with a turbo that could support nearly 400 crank HP with just 3-4psi over stock. What's the highest you can push those stock turbos? 

Had I known you could make 340whp on that, I may have been tempted to ditch the Nissan name. Between the intake manifold and new turbo, it adds easily another 1500-2000 to the cost.

Thanks for all the replys I greatly appreciate the validation. The sound is what I love about the ITB's with trumpets NA idea and it just simply looks sexy with ITB's. I would need to find a solution for the head as you mentioned the 26 is a turbo designed head. I don't know how much hp I want or need. Both are going to be expensive to do properly. Im just in the planning stage for that it's body work right now. But want to make an informed decision. I will look at the rb25 and maybe L28et block with a stroker kit. If I go with a NA. But I do like the power I could get from a turbo motor. Loved my 83 280zx turbo.