HybridZ

L28 weber build

beeto

So i had a discussion that didnt return much info so thought i would try in the L6 area.

I am going to be doing a rebuild on a L28 for street use. I have an L28 F54, P90a Head with solid lifters and running 3x40dcoe.

I am after some advise on parts. Flat top pistons, valve train, timing gear, a mild cam that will help the webers, and anything else that should be replaced at the same time. I am fairly happy with stock parts if they will suit.

I see websites like zcardepot offer alot of parts but unsure on quality.

What compression should i be aiming for for a NA build?

Realy appreciate the input or direction, or people that have had builds similar to mine.

Cheers,

Jason

(Photos of my progress/rebuild)

post-52056-0-65375300-1479619013_thumb.jpg

post-52056-0-66264600-1479619066_thumb.jpg

post-52056-0-81162600-1479619168_thumb.jpg

post-52056-0-25092700-1479619226_thumb.jpg

Compression depends on fuel quality. I see you are in New Zealand. Looks like 98 RON is available which would allow you to run up to 10 CR fairly easily. That's about 93 AKI in North America.

A nice 270-280 degree cam from Isky, Schneider, Sunbelt or other reputable Cam grinders will work nice. If you keep the lift under .500" it a bit easier on the Valvetrain.

Brand new Nissan Factory springs are still available and the latest revision will handle up to .480" lift. Don't go crazy on Valve spring pressures on a Daily Driver. Excessive pressures can cause cam lobe wear. Make sure you use a high ZDDP content oil. That's very important. There are special oils made for older engines with Flat Tappet cams. Modern Energy Star oils do not have enough ZDDP content for high performance camshafts. Most 10w-40 to 20w-50 oils have higher ZDDP numbers as they are not Energy Star rated.

Always check retainer to valve seal clearance. You may want to machine the underside of the factory retainer, or the top of the guides to get a bit more clearance. Shorter valve seals are also available. You will need thicker Lash Pads to go with the Camshaft. Best way is to buy a complete cam kit ( Springs, retainers, Lash Pads ) from someone like Isky or Schneider.

Rocker Arm geometry and the condition of the Rocker Arms themselves are critical. If the old Rocker arms are in good condition, they can be re-used. Or buy New FACTORY Nissan rockers. They are still available . Nissan Part # 13257-W0300  They are not cheap... but worth the investment.

Be wary of aftermarket rockers. There is a lot of junk on the market and a poor heat treat can cost you a whole motor. Be wary of some companies that " Regrind rockers". Too many horror stories of  shops re-surfacing the rockers and going through the heat treat. That can cost you an engine as well.

Get some good books on these engines. More to come, but I have to run....

Awesome Write up Chickenman, Thanks a bunch. Valuable info, and appreciate the info on the rockers. That is my concern, the availability of parts isn't so much an issue, its that quality i am unsure of, and prices vary so much from different suppliers.

Appreciate anything you have to add, and will continue to do my research!

Call Kelford for the cams. You're MUCH closer to MUCH MUCH hotter L-series engines than we are, right now in my opinion the hottest L-series engines are being built in NZ and AU.

Especially the L-4's...

rollerblah_zps8y36ieyu.jpg

rollercarbies_zpscfgba03d.jpg.

Yes, that is a roller cam, roller follower 2.0L L20B making in excess of 220HP...

Edited by Xnke

Call Kelford for the cams. You're MUCH closer to MUCH MUCH hotter L-series engines than we are, right now in my opinion the hottest L-series engines are being built in NZ and AU.

Especially the L-4's...

rollerblah_zps8y36ieyu.jpg

rollercarbies_zpscfgba03d.jpg.

Yes, that is a roller cam, roller follower 2.0L L20B making in excess of 220HP...

Gotta agree. Australia and NZ are a hot bed for innovative motorsport products. Good quality products and some very smart blokes there. What else would you expect from the land of V8 Supercars and " The Great Race "/ The Bathurst 1000 is definitely on my Bucket List.