HybridZ

Stronger motor mounts

So I Bought them already and installed these light night. They make a very noticeable difference in how the car drives. The power from the car is much more responsive and smooth. It really reduced the drivetrain play, so when you press the throttle, it reduced some of the "clunk" these cars have common issues with. This difference could be seen when giving the car power and letting go of the throttle. so power transfer each way feels tighter .

Overall, much more fun.

As far as noise goes. You can feel a harsh vibration when turning the starter(no big deal). Also when the engine was idling(about 800rpm) the whole car has a pretty noisy and felt like the dash was vibrating. its not over the top noisy, but if you car is a DD or built to be comfortable I would consider it to loud. When it came to driving though, I couldn't tell any difference significantly in noise level!

I HAVE TO KEEP DRIVING ON THEM TO SEE HOW I WILL FEEL IN THE LONG RUN because I do drive my Z regularly. The vibration at idle was non existent when the engine was warming up(1,200-1,300rpm). So I will try raising my idle to 900-950rpm to see if that solves the idle vibration issue.

Some extra info:

I was running new oem mounts and they were already showing alot of wear after about six months, they were running fine for DD but disappointing for spirited driving. And Now I have a 3.0 too.

New transmission insulator

Poly transmission crossmember bushing

New oem diff mount

Poly mustache bar bushing

how's the feel after a few months?

My question as well. The idea that the OEM mounts were going bad after 6 months is hard to believe. The ones in the race car are 3 years old and are checked often. The ones in the street Z are even older and they're fine.

How the mounts are at idle or at 3000 rpm aren't a concern, I'd like to know what it's like going up to 7000 rpm, down to 3000 and back to 7000 in a matter of seconds at WOT.

I just installed a set of these. Unfortunately it's been years since I've driven my Z so I can't give you a great comparison. I lost 2 radiators in the past due to fan contact during aggressive braking and downshifting with stock mounts, and was always unhappy that nothing stiffer and captured was available off the shelf.

The parts are nice quality, but I had to clearance my drivers side mount a little to avoid contact with the steering shaft. Driving around with the hood off it definitely appears that there is almost no movement of the engine. Can't really comment on responsiveness or NVH... The car was a loud, rattly, POS before the mounts so I don't think they made much difference there =)

I'm happy with my purchase.

Two radiators due to the fan hitting them? Maybe it's time to switch to an electric fan. Frees up some HP and space.

I'd love to hear from other folks who race as to whether they see motor mount movement so drastic that the fan goes into the radiator under heavy braking.

Seems to me,there was an article on here about using poly jeep motor mounts similar in dimensions to Datsun mounts?

I don't have a stock motor mount anymore to compare to, but I am using poly Jeep motor mounts to hold a 7M-GE in my Z. I took some measurements off it, if it helps.

post-3229-0-15244900-1493855151_thumb.png

The bottom stud is centered pretty good and about 1/2" diameter. And the slots are for 3/8" bolts.

This is the mount I have. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-2-1102r/overview/

When I got them I knew I was making my own parts so I literally just went through the entire list of motor mounts and picked the ones that I felt would allow the easiest disassembly. I wanted to make the car easy to work on, which is why I built a bracket to use a poly GM transmission mount on the back of the R154 transmission.

Edited by Grim

Different product out there can be cast to what ever you want and cure to a nice product you can replace dam near every bushing in your car with. Some 2 parts can even be poured they are so thin before they cure. Flexane is a popular one ive seen, 2 part box liners, windshield urethane.... The shore ratings are different for them all, some even available in multiple strengths. The possibilities are endless.

I didnt know a product like this existed packaged/advertised towards the car crowd. Thanks for the link!

Not nessessarly stronger than rubber, but depending on the rating it could be stiffer. When OP says he wants stronger mounts i assume he means stiffer. Id bet most of us are not putting down the kinda power that makes engines leap from the bay.

Thank you

Edited by Curtball

My question as well. The idea that the OEM mounts were going bad after 6 months is hard to believe. The ones in the race car are 3 years old and are checked often. The ones in the street Z are even older and they're fine.

How the mounts are at idle or at 3000 rpm aren't a concern, I'd like to know what it's like going up to 7000 rpm, down to 3000 and back to 7000 in a matter of seconds at WOT.

My car hasn't been running for a while now, so I cant say.

But the oem mounts weren't bad. They were worn from when they were new. And I could feel noticeable play in the drivetrain causing a drag/and clunk feeling between up and downshifting. Most Z people probably wouldn't think much of it  since these cars are prone to having really severe "Clunk" issues. But I daily drive mine, and it is really noticeable to me, even if its slight.

You can see on the stock mounts the rubber separates from the side on the metal quite quick, causing more engine movement.

• 1 year later...
On 4/19/2017 at 8:51 AM, hansonsaid said:

how's the feel after a few months?

I pulled them out, they were NOT good for my build. IMO these are for a car you intend to race/autocross.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:51 AM, NewZed said:

The transmission mount is the third engine mount.  It's also designed to reduce fore and aft movement.  Something to consider if you're trying to reduce engine movement.

I am looking into designing a new mount for the transmission as the stock insulator does a good job of reducing vibration in the car, but it has too much give at the same time.

Edited by stravi757