HybridZ

Need pics of A/C with dash removed please.....

You're in luck - sort of...

I've currently got my dash pulled on my '78, but I've also pulled the heater box but not the A/C portion.  If you don't mind waiting for a bit I can get some pics for you.  Or if you need something specific maybe I can get it now...

Edited by TimZ

I've currently got my dash pulled on my '78, but I've also pulled the heater box but not the A/C portion.  If you don't mind waiting for a bit I can get some pics for you.  Or if you need something specific maybe I can get it now...

I'd appreciate any/all pics of dash removed Tim.  I bought a complete VintageAir unit to replace the factory heating/air con unit.  Whenever you can is fine with me.  Thank You Tim!!

~joel 

Not in a big hurry but maybe within a month? Thanks.......

I've created an album and will just start dropping pics in there as I progress...

https://goo.gl/photos/YBMYmWNg5rtxZCWy8

Let me know if there is something specific that you would like a pic of...

Nice job with the foam to keep air from escaping. I didn't think of that. I was looking more toward pics of both heat and air installed without dash so I could see how everything is arranged. Not looking forward to removing the dash and doing this. Did you have A/C to start with or just adding it like me? Great pic though...

Nice job with the foam to keep air from escaping. I didn't think of that. I was looking more toward pics of both heat and air installed without dash so I could see how everything is arranged. Not looking forward to removing the dash and doing this. Did you have A/C to start with or just adding it like me? Great pic though...

Thanks!  I ended up not needing so much build-up once I figured out how to adjust the vacuum motor (dashpot) to pull the door all the way closed, so I've now removed some of it.  I used this foam from McMaster-Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3613/=15fb1mc

It's ultra compressible and the adhesive has a really wide temperature range, and it seems to be sticking very well so far.  I was worried if the foam was too stiff that it might impede the door's ability to close fully.  This seems to be working really well.  I used the 1/16" thickness for the door sealing part and 3/16" for in between units.

This is the as-delivered factory A/C, btw.

I'll just keep dropping more pics in as I reassemble things.

Thanks!  I ended up not needing so much build-up once I figured out how to adjust the vacuum motor (dashpot) to pull the door all the way closed, so I've now removed some of it.  I used this foam from McMaster-Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/3613/=15fb1mc

It's ultra compressible and the adhesive has a really wide temperature range, and it seems to be sticking very well so far.  I was worried if the foam was too stiff that it might impede the door's ability to close fully.  This seems to be working really well.  I used the 1/16" thickness for the door sealing part and 3/16" for in between units.

This is the as-delivered factory A/C, btw.

I'll just keep dropping more pics in as I reassemble things.

Great.....nice to see as my 75 has all the early 75 a/c components pulled from another 75 car so they should work. I doubt there was any difference between my 75 and your 78 a/c system. 

Here is the document.  I had saved it to my pc to use as a reference while upgrading the A/C in the 260Z.  I went with a Vintage Air unit as well, replacing the factory air.  I made several attempts to restore the factory air and had many issues with the condenser and compressor.  I have not finished the install as I am doing a turbo/Megasquirt install at the same time.

Bryan

DatsunZ_Vintage_Air_1000.pdf

I don't have Vintage Air, I am doing factory style air using original parts from a 1975 280Z. 

I put the bare heater box back in last night - posted new pics.

I'll likely start reassembling the heater tonight.  If there is anything specific you would like to see speak now or forever hold your peace...

I'll take more pics but it always seems like no matter how many pics I take there is one angle I didn't get...

I put the bare heater box back in last night - posted new pics.

I'll likely start reassembling the heater tonight.  If there is anything specific you would like to see speak now or forever hold your peace...

I'll take more pics but it always seems like no matter how many pics I take there is one angle I didn't get...

I just need pics of everything under the dash so when I take mine apart to add factory a/c I will know how everything is routed and not guess. I have seen diagrams or drawings but they never look like the real thing. I know it's hard to take pics while working, I try to when I do installs but sometimes get too busy and forget. lol

Anything is way better than nothing....Thanks