HybridZ

Pull engine with tranny?

torynich

I have always pulled the engine and transmission as separate units. Is it even possible to pull/re-install the engine with the tranny bolted together? The second part of the question then would be if it would be a preferred way to go about engine/tranny removal and installation. This happens to be on a 74 260Z btw.

I had my fully assembled motor & trans together and could not get them in together. The main problem was the MSA 6:1 header and the Arizona z aluminum oil pan. They make the total assembly very tall. If you have one of those two, it could be a challenge, if not impossible. I even tried taking off my front wheels and lowering the car all the way down on the floor jack. Wasted about 4 hours and scratched up my new engine bay paint. In the end, I separated them and set the transmission in first just on the ground. After the engine was mounted I installed the transmission.

If your oil pan & exhaust is stock I think it will be possible

In hind sight I should have installed the header after the eng/trans were installed.

Just my 2 cents

It's possible to remove and install completely assembled.  You just need to have the right tools and room to use them.  A leveler on your hoisting rig, for example.  A way to lift the tail of the transmission when it's under the car.  The engine and trans together is pretty heavy.

The preferred way would be the one that you're comfortable with, I'd say.

Installing (and removing) them as a unit is easily accomplished, given that you leave the manifolds off. A load leveler and having an extra hand or two helps. Last engine/trans assembly I helped drop in, we had it done in about 15 minutes. Definitely helps to have a few friends assist! ;)

I've pulled separate and installed together. Just remember to take the shifter out and make sure to block off the transmission if it has fluid. Having the manifolds off makes it a lot easier to get to the engine mounts. 

Make sure you have a lot of head room. If you make sure your load is locked (grabbing onto a single link in the chain instead of having the chain just slipped through the hook) you can have someone stand on the car and apply weight to the transmission to get it to tip in. A load leveler is much easier as long as you get a decent one.

• 3 weeks later...