HybridZ

Are 280z and 240z seats the same as far as the foam.

5 Star Rising

I have a 71 series 1 240z that came with some red recaros seats, they were worn and i didnt like the red color so i sold them. Im now looking for a set of seats. I think i would like to go back to stock on this car as its a series 1.

I was thinking i could find a set of 240 seats locally but no luck so far. I did find a guy with a set of late 260 seats and he wants 50 bucks for both of them. I wasnt sure if the seat foam was the same as the 240. I was thinking about buying them and then getting a new set of 240z seat covers for them but i dont know if they are the same.

I do have a set of 240z seat rails. I searched the forums and couldnt find a straight answer to this, only found what other seats from other cars would fit in my 240. I want to make this particular project stock as possible. Also need a series 1 hatch but thats a different issue i will deal with later.

I don't have any 280 seats to refer to but I can offer this info. 

The 70 - 71 seats had a wide leathery type of strap supporting the foam. Later in 71 and at least through the 260 the seats support changed to a squiggly spring support.

I had taken the two types apart to put the spring support in my early 70 seats and found the base foam was thinner on the later spring supported seat. 

The covers looked to be very similar but might be a different height as well. 

Ironically I abandoned the plan to go with some Recaros I had in an old 4runner.

Not sure if that helps you in you case.

Sounds like the 70-71 are a little different. I might just get the late 260 seats and buy new covers for a late 260 and put them in. The car is going to be slightly modified with a front air dam, so i guess the seats are not that big of a deal to be perfectly stock.