HybridZ

aftermarket wiring

Can someone please guide me to a comprehensive aftermarket re-wire write-up for the 240Z.

-I have a 1973 that is a shell and Just seems that there is just way to much wire in the stock harness.

-The company that was going to restore the car (failed project sadly) had one of there guys cut up some of the original harness.

-I also plan to use the speedhut gauges and would like to modernize the harness.

-I do have the EZ 20 circuit harness.

Many thanks, G Ichiro

I am just finishing up intergrating a bmw and Datsun wiring harness and I know what you mean with all the extra wires that aren't needed. There are general wiring kits like the ones that Painless Wiring offers but I doubt you will find a better quality one than the Datsun harness you have on hand, you just need to cut away the tape, remove the stuff you don't plan on using, clean it up, check all the connections for good contact, maybe add a few runs of heavy gauge wiring for stuff that you might add in the future and tape it back up. I included 4 Speedhut gauges in the dash wiring, easy peasy.  I know it can look like a lot of work but once you get in there it is a very simple harness.

I was going to use the Painless kit for one of my 240Z cars because the PO chopped up the engine bay wiring, but ended up just re-doing the stock wiring.

Many many HybridZ write ups on the Painless and EZ kits installation. Some  are very detailed and include directions on how to interface the kits to the turn signal and head light switch.

Search "Painless"  "EZ Kit"  etc.

I am installing the ez 12 circuit with mini fuse box. I added a fuel pump and the choke circuit is spared. I did quite a bit of modifying to fit a lot of relays behind the dash because I don't want to overheat the combo switch. My experience with the kit is fine so far. I think wiring is easy as long as you keep everything well documented and tidy. I drew a wiring diagram since I want to be able to open the dash in the future and know what goes where. My car is a 71 240z with L28, MSD ignition, gm alternator, kill switch. 12 circuit is just enough to get the job done, BUT if you ask me to do it again I would not buy the kit and make a harness myself and make it perfect. Oh, also the fuse box doesn't fit in the original place.

I'm curious as to what you are looking for. The FSM has the wiring harness pretty nicely laid out.

Start either at the fuse box or at the accessory and run a piece of string to get the correct length and cut it.

Once you have routed everything harness it up.

On the stock car from the factory the bulk of it runs along the passenger side and reaches over to the driver side for connections. The problem is the terminals. You aren't going to have the right terminals unless you pay a premium for NOS or reproduction terminals which means most likely reusing old terminals or pigtailing to the stock harness which defeats a bit of the purpose.

I'm with miles, unless you plan on spending a lot of effort redoing all the lights and removing old terminals and converting everything to modern terminals or making tons of adapters, you probably don't want to start from scratch.