HybridZ

T56 behind an L-series

TimZ

Hello there,

Rb26 please tell me how much it cost you for the RB25det Neo 5spd, and from were you buy it ?

Thank you

You will have to email RHDjapan to check availability.  I paid close to $1,500.00 for mine delivered from Japan.

Here is the RHD link to get you started >>   http://www.rhdjapan.com/

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much

I find one but its 1700$ plus shipping !

http://www.rhdjapan.com/nissan-oem-5-speed-manual-transmission-ecr33-rb25det.html

Is same yours ?

Can easily swap on L28 engine?

Thank you

That is about what I paid.

I chose a later model ( r34 )  but either model will fit the RB motor.

I don't think a L28 will bolt directly to a RB gear box without modification.

I def don't need a trans, as I bought a brand new RB25det Neo 5spd from Japan, and have only drove it less than 100 miles, but I have an itch to put a T56 close ratio behind my rb26.

I need more studying to know what model T56 to buy, and if I can continue to use the HKS duel plate clutch/flywheel I'm now using with the RB trans.

...New from Japan R34 RB25det mission.jpg

.New from Japan R34 RB25det mission.jpg

New from Japan R34 RB25det mission...jpg

New from Japan R34 RB25det mission.jpg

You can, if you pick the right T56. You'll need one with the 26 spline 1.125" input shaft. Then you'll need to get a center hub with the boss for a Nismo 6 speed/OS88 splined boss. Or if you're using the older HKS twin plate, clutch disks for the OS88 transmission. They use a 26 spline 28mm hub/disc which is the same.

You can, if you pick the right T56. You'll need one with the 26 spline 1.125" input shaft. 

In general, this means the "GM" variant, not the "Ford" one.  The Quicktime bellhousing is meant for the GM style - the Ford input shaft is shorter in addition to being a different spline configuration

Edited by TimZ

Well, I sent my Datsun T5 bellhousing off to Quicktime last Friday, so we'll see whether they are willing to make an L-series T56 bellhousing soon...

Good deal Tim!  I'm watching this thread and will follow your lead  (except for the QuickTime bell difference ).

Do you mind revealing your plans on which model  trans you'll be acquiring  ( used / new / etc.)?

Thanks Tim...

Good deal Tim!  I'm watching this thread and will follow your lead  (except for the QuickTime bell difference ).

Do you mind revealing your plans on which model  trans you'll be acquiring  ( used / new / etc.)?

Thanks Tim...

I'm having Liberty's Gears build me a new GM version T56 magnum, modified with an F-body tailhousing.  I haven't decided just yet whether I'm going to just go with the narrow ratio gearset, or the wide ratio gearset modified with the 5th and 6th from the narrow trans...

Also I checked my T5 before shipping its bellhousing out and it looks like the Quicktime bellhousing mated to the GM T56 should put the pilot shaft in about the same orientation as the Datsun trans (should protrude 0.52" vs the datsun 0.625"), so all I should need to do is get a modified pilot bushing for the crankshaft, instead of a custom input shaft or figuring out how to put a pilot bushing in the flywheel.

I would be in on one. I was toying with the same idea as you. So would the RB26 work if holes were slotted? I don't care about SFI rating. I also thought it was pretty close and willing to try one out. If I had a T56 ready I would have tried it out.  I actually had one of the RB26 bellhousings in the shopping cart of Summit and backed out at the last minute. I keep holding out for Hokes conversion kit. I am parts manager of the largest Infiniti dealership in the nation so I can get ahold of the CD009 easily. I'd rather use a GM 6 speed as more stuff is available including mechanical speedo.

I would be in on one. I was toying with the same idea as you. So would the RB26 work if holes were slotted? I don't care about SFI rating. I also thought it was pretty close and willing to try one out. If I had a T56 ready I would have tried it out.  I actually had one of the RB26 bellhousings in the shopping cart of Summit and backed out at the last minute. I keep holding out for Hokes conversion kit. I am parts manager of the largest Infiniti dealership in the nation so I can get ahold of the CD009 easily. I'd rather use a GM 6 speed as more stuff is available including mechanical speedo.

I think you could probably get the engine side to bolt up by slotting the holes, but the clocking of the trans would be all wrong - the RB leans the other way in the engine bay, so if you bolted up the trans to that bellhousing on an L series the shifter would be pointing off to the side...

Hopefully I'll find out in a couple of days whether they want to do this for me - it _might_ be helpful if any other interested parties called Holley's tech line and inquired about the same thing - if they make it a part number, then the rest of you won't have to pay extra for having a one-off made...

Edited by TimZ

Hopefully I'll find out in a couple of days whether they want to do this for me - it _might_ be helpful if any other interested parties called Holley's tech line and inquired about the same thing - if they make it a part number, then the rest of you won't have to pay extra for having a one-off made...

Ross from Quicktime called me today and they are going to make me a bellhousing, so from this point on they will know how to make one.  However, for the time being it will be treated as a one-off.  If they start getting a lot of requests, then they may make it into a part number...

Edited by TimZ

Ross from Quicktime called me today and they are going to make me a bellhousing, so from this point on they will know how to make one.  However, for the time being it will be treated a a one-off.  If they start getting a lot of requests, then he may make it into a part number...

Well that's great news for the L6 crowd!!  I can't hardly wait to put a T56 Magnum behind my RB

Well thanks for taking the bullet for us, nice to know there is an option for handling power with say Derek's head and a bit of boost.

Not a problem.

BTW - Ross at Quicktime mentioned that they just happen to be doing a run of the RB bellhousings right now, so it's easy for them to come up with a donor bell - If anyone was also thinking of doing this, now is a good time...

Edited by TimZ

https://s27.postimg.org/4xh8ww47n/10_K_3_PLATE.jpg

https://s24.postimg.org/488m26igl/t56_L.jpg

The reason a T56 was chosen for my application was that I needed a transmission that could take the shock load of drag strip launches with a large shot of N20 on slicks and be freeway driven. The transmission is from a 98 F body , a Rockland Standard gear drag kit was later installed the input shaft bearing was located in the flywheel Honda style. It is pretty amazing how tough the T56 transmission is even in stock form , provided the urge to speed shift is resisted. 

• 4 weeks later...