HybridZ

Advice on Diff

skerry

Assumption is that this is a 240z so it came with the R180. 

OBX is not that complicated. Order the kit, take it apart, inspect, order the shim kit from this forum, then reinstall. Your comparing an LSD to a differential to suspension. My assumption is also that you meant the Ford 8.8 diff with the IRS axles.

If it is a 240z and you are pumping a healthy SBC worth of power at it, the stub axles seem to be a glaring weak point along with the halfshafts. 

Going R200 isn't going to solve either 

If you plan on keeping it, I would spend the effort to go with the 8.8 that way you know the rear end is going to handle whatever you throw at it. Granted not sure if you want to sink that much money into a flood recovery vehicle.

Other choice is the TTT shortnose R200/R230 kit. That would come with new axles and such, but it does cost quite the pretty penny.

It wouldn't hurt to do some "while its apart" maintenance when installing an r200. ex, All of the bushings, polyurethane upgrade, you'll need a new diff mounts and diff strap, and thoroughly check your half shafts and suspension components. I replaced my diff about a year ago, and the polyurethane bushings really go along way for the money, especially when it came to the mustache bar bushings. 

Thanks guys, lots of great advice. I found a local 1979 280zx that I can pick up for cheap. I'm thinking I may get that so I will have all of the parts I need for the r200 conversion. I like the idea of upgrading the bushings as well. The car has a 700r4 so it's looking like the R200 makes the most sense at this point. I've had the Ron Tyler diff mount from Technovisions laying around for a while so the r200 still allows me to use that. Seems like it's all coming into place.