HybridZ

Which megasquirt version is recommended?

datsundoug

I'm in the process of reconstructing a rustbucket of a 280z and have plans for turbo.  I plan on using a holset HY35, forged 8:1 pistons, (not sure what head im going to use yet) probably 450 injectors, fmic, etc.  I have a seized turbo engine that I'm hoping has good distributor still.  I also liked the idea and cleanliness of the ford coil on plugs.  Tuning will be a slightly new adventure for me, so I'm not too familiar on what is best for this setup, or even what the differences are in the Megasquirt versions.  I'm currently looking at the MS2 and MS3, but I'm not sure if the MS3 is really giving me anything extra or not.  I've tried searching and haven't really found a great comparison or recommendation of which version to go with.

From the information provided, would an MS2 do everything I need, or would i be better off with the MS3?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks. 

This thread covers a lot - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/50208-the-ultimate-l28et-guidewhat-you-need-for-350whp/

Worrying about whether the distributor in your seized engine is still good and the clean look of COP shows a little bit of unfocus.  For the money you're spending on other parts you could consider one of the damper mounted sensors.  Probably more dependable, maybe cheaper in the long run.  And a clean look.  Looks like you're still early in planning.

DIYA has tried to make sense of the mess of options and MS variations.  Even they get sucked in to a vortex of possibilities but still worth reading their articles - https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tech/

Ok thanks.  I was unaware of being able to upgrade that easily.  Should I be worried about the lack of sequential?  I'm not too familiar with the specifics of it but I have the feeling it wouldn't be necessary since you're running without it.  Anything else you would recommend when I order it?  Are you using the built in MAP sensor on the MS2 or the GM sensor?  I haven't found a definite answer as to if the Megasquirt will run the Ford COP's or if I would need additional components to do so.  I think im going to attempt the diy kit and spend some free time soldering it.

I went a little crazy since I wanted ALL the features. Using a HFM5 MAF makes tuning really easy FYI.

This is my build:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=63609

If i was to go back i would really consider the microsquirt. It's basically a mini MS2 and would be perfect for us weekend drivers who arnt racing and dont need a million I/O. 

• 2 months later...

I went a little crazy since I wanted ALL the features. Using a HFM5 MAF makes tuning really easy FYI.

This is my build:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=63609

If i was to go back i would really consider the microsquirt. It's basically a mini MS2 and would be perfect for us weekend drivers who arnt racing and dont need a million I/O. 

How do the 550cc injectors work in a stock na l28?  Does the car idle ok or was it difficult to tune with those big injectors?  Also were they Low/High impedence?  Just wondering I am doing a similar build to you.

tatertoph they are high impedance modern EV14 injectors. The nice thing is they have a very low dead time so no problems with idle. You could probably go twice as big and still idle just fine. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "work in a stock na l28?". The stock ECU is ONLY built to work in a stock environment (sensors, idlers, pumps, etc). Soon as you start to tinker with it your going to have problems for sure. 

Unless you mean "work" as in perform? With a megasquirt they are great! I purposefully picked over sized modern injectors so i could run N/a for now and there would be no fulling problems when i upgrade to turbo. Currently i max the injectors out around 26% so plenty of power to go.