HybridZ

XTD Clutch opinions

cosmo

I tried the search, but it wouldn't let me search <4 characters.

I read mixed reviews on the XTD clutches, but none ran it on the Z. 

Anyone running the Stage 4? Would love to hear your opinion, as the EXEDY stage 2 is 4-5x as much.

engine: built L28et, ~350-400hp

This is the clutch I am talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201808445862?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

vs

https://www.stillen.com/performance/transmission-parts/exedy-nissan-200sx-240sx-280z-280zx-620-720-810-maxima-stage-2-cerametallic-clutch-kit-06953a/vehicle/1975-nissan-280z.html

Thank you! 

XTD is straight ebay if memory serves.

That unit looks to be un unsprung clutch as well which is not going to let you get away with slipping the clutch as much as a pucked clutch will anyway. I imagine a ton of chatter and an on/off type engagement to boot. 

With that said some people do run it, given the price it is hard to not consider. Personally my thoughts on ebay parts are not to get parts that will leave you stranded or you would mind revisiting. If you have a nice garage with a lift or something and taking out the trans is pretty menial to you, then for that price if you get 5,000 miles out of it you would break even. For me having a clutch fall apart or a pressure plate break a fin is kind of a no go on my book. 

My first 88 turbo Z31 had one with it when i bought it. Made 390ftlbs and about 300whp on a stock turbo and it held fine with tons of aggressive daily driving and lots of drift days and a few road race track events. 

Surprised me when I pulled the engine and found it. 

Then I bought one from the junkayard for $20 when I pulled the trans out of an 87 turbo because why not. I used it some other build for a week or two then an na 240sx for a few weeks (both temp builds) and it was fine. 

Are you taking a crap shoot it might suck, slip or explode? Yeah, but that last one isnt likely...but its possible due to random quality. 

That said I use DXD southbend clutches in everything else when i have to depend on it. My L28ET is getting a 350Z clutch and light rb flywheel because I got a brand new 350Z clutch with another engine. My friends stock held a 400ftlb 530whp super charged vq35 so I figured Id try it. Beats ebay quality as its OEM.

Oh and as for unsprun disks....I avoid them. They are super harsh on the gears themselves because theres zero dampening from the engine to the transmission unlike most disks. I only use them now on high revving race cars for lighter disks. They are very harsh daily driving but you can get around that with more clutch slippage. 

~Alex

It was done on both fresh new black top and old, with my 82 280zx turbo 116,000 original miles with ported exhaust manifold, 10lbs of boost,3.70 lsd diff, stock trans, and 215/60/15 tires. , one of the 4 turbo 280zx turbos I have. its only a 12.8 car right now but I have plans. Only time to build on it is the limiting factor right now. Header, T4 turbo, cam, custom Intake and fuel system next.

Edited by Climber

I used a "Stage 3" in my car. Ran fine for the life me driving the car until I parked it.transmission is out but unfortunately I have no intentions on dismantling it further so I won't be able to get you a picture. The stage 3 thing didn't like slipping. It has been discussed before that these puck style clutches, unless their material is better, just require more pressure plate force to get the same friction as a full disk clutch. More force means more wear on your thrust surface of the bearing and crankshaft. Whether that is noticeable when you go to rebuild again, I don't know. I ran it on a Fidanza flywheel. This RB26 stuff intrigues me. Don't know if it's worth abandoning the Fidanza.

• 1 year later...

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/shop/13lb-rb26-flywheel-kit-for-l-series-engines

We run these on all of our build cars with the XTD Stage 3 clutch for the 350z. It requires some minor bell housing clearancing to clear the clutch cover. But you can run the 240mm 280zx turbo clutch with this flywheel, and it's fractions cheaper than the Fidanza

15 hours ago, 83turbo280zx said:

https://www.godzillaraceworks.com/shop/13lb-rb26-flywheel-kit-for-l-series-engines

We run these on all of our build cars with the XTD Stage 3 clutch for the 350z. It requires some minor bell housing clearancing to clear the clutch cover. But you can run the 240mm 280zx turbo clutch with this flywheel, and it's fractions cheaper than the Fidanza

Is this the clutch you are referring to?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/XTD-STAGE-3-DUAL-FRICTION-RACING-CLUTCH-KIT-FITS-03-06-350Z-03-07-G35-jdm/192450127795?fits=Model%3A350Z&hash=item2cceebe7b3:g:M9gAAOSw3ydV6grc&vxp=mtr

I saw that they also have a Stage 3 that is a 6 puck, but this is the one I was leaning towards.