HybridZ

Side Exhaust

Looking for a proven setup for the LS3 in a Z31, may not be proven for a Z31 but proven to deliver power with a muffled side exhaust. Out under the left door so obviously available length will be a lot less than usual, I'm thinking 4" or equivalent oval outlet with an effective muffler or two in there somewhere.

Don't have much of a clue about exhausts, emudecate me.

Side pipes are cool, lord know we have had our share, we have been involved in the Factory Five Racing Cobra world since 98.  They also leave a pretty bad burn on wives girlfriends and other peoples legs so if you are not used them they can bite.  So unless you have to have them keep options open.     

This what I know:  Most side pipes are basically glass packs or some form of flow through muffler.  They are loud, really loud, and get louder over time. Technology on those has not changed much in 50 years.  We have swapped a bunch of them out for the auger style muffler (Lobak is who we have used) and now flow master has a newer technology that uses opposing cones to noise cancel the exhaust, slimline is what I think they are called.  There are things like auger inserts, car chemistry inserts (put one of these in my current 240z MSA exhaust)and various other types of mufflers that help keep them quieter.  The other thing is in reality they are not a good flow design.  A decent resonator and turbo style muffler will be quieter and work better.  JMHO, Richard. 

First thing is getting the exhaust to the side of the car. If you make your headers and aren't afraid to cut the fenderwell, that's not a problem. Seem some with a shorty and then a hole through the frame or under the frame on s30, not a fan.

I made my own mufflers, very loud. 102 db on the sound meter at WOT. Repacked, added Supertrapp tips, hoping that gets it quieter. If that doesn't do it, will try some auger style mufflers. If that doesn't do it I'm going to try something completely different: will run reversed headers like people do for turbos, then Y it and add a muffler parallel to the engine, then bend it out to the side of the car where there will be a second muffler. 

If that doesn't do it there will be a Z car with a couple thousand hours in it for sale...

Looking for a proven setup for the LS3 in a Z31, may not be proven for a Z31 but proven to deliver power with a muffled side exhaust. Out under the left door so obviously available length will be a lot less than usual, I'm thinking 4" or equivalent oval outlet with an effective muffler or two in there somewhere.

Don't have much of a clue about exhausts, emudecate me.

Were looking for traditional "side pipes" like these:

sidepipes chrome

...or just an exhaust that exits on the side(s) in front of the rear axle, like this:

20140829 221923

exhaust1

• 3 weeks later...

I run a exhaust shop For last powercruise I ran 2 auger style mufflers under drive shaft area of car and then two hotdog resonators one out each side of car for bit of Would doubt it was legal for cams racing here in Australia but was fine for cruising for weekend Car is 383 stroked ls1 with 1 7/8" 4 into one extractors and twin 3" system

Would be worried about ground clearance if u went to 4" pipe If The z31 is longer than 240z u might get twin 3" with 2 sets of hotdogs in tunnel then another set under sill Done plenty of street commodores with just 3 pairs of hotdogs sounded fine for street but they are running cat converters

Thanks for the tips and info blokes, should have said this is for a Z31 race car project and the rules allow side exit exhausts. Basically I'm thinking that the shorter the exhaust the less weight. Noise is still an issue though so efficient mufflers are of particular interest.