HybridZ

PLEASE HELP.need info on 85 300zx v8 swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Thank goodness I found you guys!!!

I just bought a 1985 300zx turbo 5 speed

with a bad engine.I've been trying to find info on doing a v8 swap but every thing I find is on older 240s 260s and 280s.Please tell me that someone else out there has a v8 in a car like mine!!! I like the 350 chevys,but would also use a 5.0 ford..Any info would be great........please please please HELP.........thanks......

joe hodges

Guest iamjackal

Im looking to do the same thing but have so far had no luck locating anyone who has done the v-8 300zx.Iv been looking at it though and its seems very possible but there were problems Im still looking at.Let me know if you get started also.

Jeremy

Guest Frank280z

quote:

Originally posted by hodges300zx:

Thank goodness I found you guys!!!

I just bought a 1985 300zx turbo 5 speed

with a bad engine.I've been trying to find info on doing a v8 swap but every thing I find is on older 240s 260s and 280s.Please tell me that someone else out there has a v8 in a car like mine!!! I like the 350 chevys,but would also use a 5.0 ford..Any info would be great........please please please HELP.........thanks......

joe hodges

There is an 84 running around up here in PA

with a small block/auto. setup. I do not know

the person;but if you need more info I could

probably contact him. If the engine compartment is anything like the 79-83s, the engine should sit TDC of the crossmember.Write back. I'll help you out if I can.

Frank280z

• 1 month later...
Guest tom sixbey

hey guys, i know this has nothing to do with the 300zx, but i REALLY need info on the 280ZX 350 swap! - does anybody know where i can get info on it?

------------------

Tom 6B (73NIC)

"why slam on the brakes when you can slam on the gas?"

• 6 years later...
Guest coopers
hey guys, i know this has nothing to do with the 300zx, but i REALLY need info on the 280ZX 350 swap! - does anybody know where i can get info on it?

------------------

Tom 6B (73NIC)

"why slam on the brakes when you can slam on the gas?"

I like that Saying maybe that is why I keep getting tickets in Germany. Hmmm

I have a small block 350 in my '84, and it runs like a sexually assualted gorilla. There is ton of room in the engine compartment so it isn't a real hard swap, though there isn't a lot of clearance between the hood and air cleaner. The only major clearance problem I encountered was the exhaust header and the steering rack. You'll need to fabricate front mounts and modify the rear cross member. there are pics of the installation im my gallery. I will post some pics of the front cross member when I get it out in a couple of weeks. (going to Jaguar suspension) I'll try to answer any questions that I can.

• 1 month later...
Guest rshumate
I have a small block 350 in my '84, and it runs like a sexually assualted gorilla. There is ton of room in the engine compartment so it isn't a real hard swap, though there isn't a lot of clearance between the hood and air cleaner. The only major clearance problem I encountered was the exhaust header and the steering rack. You'll need to fabricate front mounts and modify the rear cross member. there are pics of the installation im my gallery. I will post some pics of the front cross member when I get it out in a couple of weeks. (going to Jaguar suspension) I'll try to answer any questions that I can.

sir.would you please so kind as to share how to do this swap again?i would sincerely appreciate it.

• 4 months later...

this is my first time trying to post anything so bare with me im putting a blown small block in my 84 300zx and im looking to find out any information regarding the motor mounts and how to make them or if they can be purchased if this is not the right place to post this question please point me in the right direction thanks

actrully its a 86 zx my budy wrote that lol, i live in ct, and i have 15 grand to mess with on this swap so money is not a question. of course y do this when i could buy a new car everyone asks me, but this is wat i want to do so if any ones got specs or tips or anything let me know

• 6 months later...

hi one of the simplest swaps I have done was a holden 308 or 5ltr turbo 400 into my old 1984 300zx my next attempt will be a larger one 350 I think with a t 700 box this one was only for a toy and runs out of revs at 200ks engine mounts are simple gearbox mounts a little harder but line up with original bolt holes in the tunnel everything handles the power with problems brakes are tops because the motor is set lower and further back than standard it handles great it turned out to be a very good package thats why I am going bigger next one so be game and have a go ,in aust.we have to whatch our smog laws . a couple of pics incl.

• 11 months later...

Hi the best tip is use the kiss principal (keep it simple stupid) no realy use a 4 speed auto t700 or t200 as it will cruise on the highway at around 2000 rpm instead of 3000 with a 3 speed suspension only needs new shocks to control the v8 stockers work well,brakes are more than capable in good stock condition as with the standard radiator it should handle it all with a good clean out I used EF falcon thermo fans only need to trim out edges to fit and leave the radiator laying down, hq wb sump stock fits ok with centre lump flatened easy panel beat,one piece tailshaft basic electrics most engine management oil,temp, starter,alternator can be used. This car is legal in Qld up to 6.2 litre with carbon can and egr. they go very well with a healthy 308 so good luck and have fun. ps my pics are of my chev 280zx I do have the 300zx pics just email direct.