HybridZ

Need some advices on carburetor or fuel injection

Logoleaf

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of going for JWT set up but now changed mind going with other direction for my turbo setup. Im looking for some advice which setup is better for my performance. I have heard a lot of people talked about triple webers and megasquirt but have no experiences since this was my first project ever.

Im thinking of going with carbs but here it comes to questions:

1- do i need to have a fuel pump installed? If so, how to setup a fuel pump? Does it required a control unit to tell the fuel pump when to start and...?

2- is there any things that i need to be aware of?

3- if i go with carbs, can i still run turbo?

I would like to hear experiences from both carbs and fuelinjected who has already running. I haven't make any purchasing yet at this point. So, you guys are my best helper to get me picked.

My ideal is to have It done so i can start to enjoy it as my daily driving. Thanks everyone in advance and im hoping of get a lot of help from Z genius.

For a Turbo car I'd go standalone EFI every day. Triple Carbs are tricky enough to Tune correctly on a normally aspirated car. When using forced induction you either have to enclose all of the carburetors in an Air box ( and then you can't see them... so what's the point? ) , or modify them to be boost referenced, It's not for the faint hearted or noobies.  Independent TB's on a Turbo car are nice, but big coin and a properly designed " Racing " plenum manifold will make just as much power with less complexity. Note: I do not consider the factory manifold to be a " Proper Race " Plenum manifold. But it alright for a starting point. Especially on a first project. 

Fuel injection is not easy stuff either, but with EFI you have reday made Turbo base Maps and a wealth of EFI tuning available on forums. Modified blow through Turbo carbs... not so much. And you can get EFI systems with Engine Fail Safes designed into the software, so if something goes wrong ( IE:  too lean AFR etc ) the ECU will intervene and cut boost etc. Accuracy, data logging, ease of  Tuning and Fail Safe software are all advantages EFI has over carbs in a Turbo application.  

You may also want to ask yourself. If this is your first project, maybe you should stick with a less daunting task? Build it normally aspirated with a mild Compression ratio ( 9.0 to 1 is more than high enough ). Then you can Turbo later as you gain experience.   Turbo engines can get very expensive in a hurry if you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing...  

Edited by Chickenman

It sounds like you have lots of reading to do. My knowledge is with megasquirt so here are my answers.

1- do i need to have a fuel pump installed? If so, how to setup a fuel pump? Does it required a control unit to tell the fuel pump when to start and...?

Yes. Fuel requirements for EFI are much higher than carbs. You will need a high pressure pump either in-tank, inline, or in a surge tank. Additionally: appropriate injectors, FPR, and Fuel Rail.

Megasquirt will control most pumps just fine and even some PWM pumps

2- is there any things that i need to be aware of?

Lots. I suggest reading the megasquirt "Getting Started". This should answer most of your questions and some. Anyone getting into megasquirt really needs to grasp the concepts of VE tables and timing systems.

3- if i go with carbs, can i still run turbo?

See Chickenman's answer