HybridZ

Seriously? Z31 for sale, but come on.

Dramier

Well look what the recent 911 value increase (bubble?) has done for all the other older Porsche models. Have you seen what a 914 is selling for lately (I really like the 914). The prices are getting higher by the week. So, maybe the rising S30 prices will have that same effect on the other older Datsun/Nissan models.

I wouldn't pay that, I think it's too much, but I remember about 5 years ago I found a VW camper bus in perfect condition was $8000.00 obo. I thought that's insane who would pay that? A few years later $20,000 is the norm.

If it was 2+0 and 5 speed I think it would be worth about $4000. It appears appears to be pretty clean, but even concourse hagerty only has them at 10.5K.

I did find this comment interesting: "Intercooled, turbocharged models debuted in the States in 1985, while the turbocharged Shiro Special debuted in 1988."

I've never seen a factory stock intercooled Z31 before? Maybe outside the US?

Well the thing about it is I can understand why the S series prices go up.   It doesn't matter if those cars are turbo or not for the most part as they are excellent drivers either way.   But with the Z31's you have a car that's heavy, the automatics are notoriously bad, and the 2+2 body lines are still the least desirable. 

I mean in short, that Z31 is nearly the exact opposite of everything that is usually desired in a Z31.   The only way it could be less desirable is if it was a slicktop, although that is certainly debatable.   

The only Z31's I could see fetching that kind of price would be pristine SS's or AE's.   Maybe I just don't understand what makes a car desirable or valuable.   In my estimation, a non-turbo automatic Z31 would never be desirable or valuable because it simply doesn't have anything going for it.    

Comparing it to 911's, even a non-turbo automatic (don't think those exist?) whale tail would still be desirable because it's a beautiful car.   It's kind of like a classic muscle car that is a factory V6 to me.   Even though it only has a V6, if it was a good looking car it's still desirable.   

I feel like the S30's are more desirable than the S130's because they look more classic and were lighter.   The S130's are more desirable than the Z31's because they look better and had less BS electronics.   I feel like the Z31's are the least desirable Z of all the generations, and I find it hard to see their value increasing.   I say all this and my first Z was actually a Z31, and I've owned three of them!   Once I bought my S30 I fully realized what I had been missing about the Z car experience.  

This is all of course personal opinion, but can somebody explain to me why the Z31 would increase in value from a market perspective?

And beyond that, most of the Z31's I see for sale locally don't get higher than $2500 unless they are turbo.   Oh sure, they try and sell these Z31 non-turbo's for $4k or $5k all the time but the reality is most of them go for $2k or less.   It's weird to me.

The S30's and S130's I can completely understand their value, especially the S30's with all of the options you have to restore it.   It's really no different than a classic '60's American muscle car.  

On a related side note, I was originally searching for a turbo Z31 and finally gave up because I wasn't willing to pay more than $3k for it because honestly that's all I thought it was worth even to me.   At the same time, I would give double or maybe even triple that for the right S30 because to me it's worth it.   I'm wondering if the prices are not so much the car's worth as it is how much rarer they are becoming.

Remember when the 240z was the desirable car that fetched a premium dollar and the 280zx was considered heavy, boxy, and unappealing? 

here's one for 25k (he'll never get that much):  https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/6030197210.html

turbo ZX auto for 6700:  https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/6033715221.html

non turbo 5 speed for 6700: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/6020411602.html

turbo auto for 12,500: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5986469702.html

Even a 2+2 is fetching 4k approaching 200k miles:  https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5991844205.html

Stocks dry up, people move onto the next available old nostalgia car. Who buys 40 year old cars and either fully restores them or buys them fully restored? People who wanted one in high school but couldn't have one. Watch: you'll see Integra Type-Rs and S2000s fetch premium value in about 15-20 years.

Edited by auxilary

The OP one has quite high mileage for what it is claimed to be which puts it outside the typical 'like new' collector's car. The S2's are quite decent looking but it's hard to get away from the underwhelming Z31 dynamics no matter how good they can be made to look.