HybridZ

Stock or Not, What do you prefer?

Climber

I prefer fast over stock.. but what do you guys think the market wants right now? I am selling my 82 turbo automatic and I have had little to no interest. It is stock and in pretty good condition. But I have to wonder if I did a few things to it, like porting the intake, putting a intercooler and 60mm throttle body on it. As well as porting the exhaust manifold and building a 3 inch down pipe as I am doing to my daily driver 5spd turbo. Would it sell faster? Take a second and tell me what you guys think.. thanks...

As a general rule of thumb, mods don't add value, at least not compared to what they cost you. You also have to consider, with modified cars, they can be done poorly, or done well, and they're always subject to taste. With collector cars, originality is key. S130s aren't that popular compared to S30s, so most likely you'll just have to be patient. It's also possible that it's priced too high, or your ad needs to be better.

Edited by rturbo 930

You're in a bit of a bind here.  If you tell how much you were asking you'll look like you're trying to sell your car without being a donating member.

From what I've seen, the ZX crowd hangs out at zcar.com.  Hybridz members buy ZX Turbo cars so that they can take the motor and dump the body.  No offense, that's just the way it is.  Go to zcar if you want ZX opinions, I'd say.

As far as modifying the engine to get more money for the car, when I see somebody else's garage-done engine work I feel like they probably screwed something up.  It lowers the value, doesn't raise it, unless they are a professional engine builder or have obvious or well-known skills.  But that's just me.

I agree with NewZed, often times I look for advertisements that say "Untouched" "adult owned" or "unmolested". I prefer that I do the modifications, if you decide to do any keep it simple, regular maintenance, upgraded fuse box or fusible links, upgraded radiator, upgraded alternator. simple.   

Thanks I will leave it alone.. I don't think I am asking to much given the fact, I paid 1200 for my 5 spd car and after tires, gas tank, fuel pump, fuel injectors, new fenders and hood. I'm in almost what I'm asking for my automatic. Yet I still don't have paint job and as nice of an interior as the auto car. So you couldn't build a cheaper car to this level for less than what I'm asking.

zcar is definatly the better place for stock cars. you wont get your money out of it if you mod it plus you wont wanna sell when you just put alot of work in it....280zx turbo"s are getting harder to find in original shape. if you can aford to be patient you"ll find the right buyer

^Temporary host, lol

Does depend on your market. If you have the parts laying around or you can source, acquire them very cheaply, you could put them on in hopes of enticing a different crowd. Downfall is I don't think it would sell for any more really, just attract more of the swap group who are weighing several donor cars.

• 2 weeks later...