HybridZ

Megasquirt help

Reean

Hey guys,

I just joined HybridZ and this is my first post! I also just joined the Datsun club by buying a 280z not too long ago. It is a 77' 280z, L28 all that good stuff I guess, but it's turbo converted... or rather almost.

So, I bought and the turbo conversion is almost complete according to him it just needs tuning, wiring, & a finished down pipe. I have no idea where to begin, I have a picture of the megasquirt 2 EMS, the wideband, & the harness I assume. I also have a ton of wires underneath the the steering wheel which he said was useless and that I should make a new one.

I am new to things like megasquirt and tuning so I'm not too sure where I should begin at all, if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks.

post-54430-0-41469100-1489628808_thumb.jpeg

post-54430-0-55349300-1489628809_thumb.jpeg

post-54430-0-23989400-1489628810_thumb.jpeg

post-54430-0-92629500-1489628810_thumb.jpeg

post-54430-0-97149700-1489628811_thumb.jpeg

First things first.  Read the Megasquirt Manual for the Megasquirt board that you have.

Secondly, make a plan with the parts that you have, and the parts you are going to need.  With the little you know about this project, your basically starting from scratch.

Figure out how the megasquirt is internally set, and make sure it is how you are going to run it.  

Lastly,  Enjoy.  It's a steep learning curve, but once you get it, it all makes sense.   Matt Cramers book on fuel injection is also a good one to read prior to getting started.

First things first.  Read the Megasquirt Manual for the Megasquirt board that you have.

Secondly, make a plan with the parts that you have, and the parts you are going to need.  With the little you know about this project, your basically starting from scratch.

Figure out how the megasquirt is internally set, and make sure it is how you are going to run it.  

Lastly,  Enjoy.  It's a steep learning curve, but once you get it, it all makes sense.   Matt Cramers book on fuel injection is also a good one to read prior to getting started.

Okay, I'll try that thank you

That is an absolutely massive learning curve to fully understand how megasquirt works. Realistically more then someone unfamiliar with it is going to be able to digest in a reasonable amount of time. Start by finding the pcb version and taking stock of what is installed on the board if it is an older version it is going to have some pretty bad resolution on the MAP so you may want to look into getting a newer one. 

Wiring is also going to be really bad as that harness is cut short which means every single wire is going to have to be extended, that means a ton of crimping/soldering. I would almost suggest just buying a new 10 foot harness, that also looks like the old one if I'm not mistaken which doesn't have the labeled wires so the new one will be nicer to work with. If you have not done wiring of this nature, best find someone who can help you. One bad connection and you can be chasing a fault for weeks to months.

Picking up someones wiring hodge podge is a pretty bad situation especially if you are unfamiliar with the stock chassis harness. That would be the first place to start. Find out what all the wires do. Then you can see what they cut into or tapped into. Then you can remove all the stuff the PO did and start from scratch. Alternatively you can kind of zero this situation by finding a used harness to install.

New harness is not a bad idea - especially if there not labeled, plus the longer runs.

Read and read and read . Lot of good articles written by MS /DIY TUNE, about systems and how they work together . Got to know your own cars wiring also so you implement the MS in the proper places

That is an absolutely massive learning curve to fully understand how megasquirt works. Realistically more then someone unfamiliar with it is going to be able to digest in a reasonable amount of time. Start by finding the pcb version and taking stock of what is installed on the board if it is an older version it is going to have some pretty bad resolution on the MAP so you may want to look into getting a newer one. 

Wiring is also going to be really bad as that harness is cut short which means every single wire is going to have to be extended, that means a ton of crimping/soldering. I would almost suggest just buying a new 10 foot harness, that also looks like the old one if I'm not mistaken which doesn't have the labeled wires so the new one will be nicer to work with. If you have not done wiring of this nature, best find someone who can help you. One bad connection and you can be chasing a fault for weeks to months.

Picking up someones wiring hodge podge is a pretty bad situation especially if you are unfamiliar with the stock chassis harness. That would be the first place to start. Find out what all the wires do. Then you can see what they cut into or tapped into. Then you can remove all the stuff the PO did and start from scratch. Alternatively you can kind of zero this situation by finding a used harness to install.

Yes, I know :/ When I got it, it seemed a little crazy for me, but I gotta learn it or do something now. I'll look into a new harness & try to learn. I know the l28 is turbo'd which would explain all of this, would you suggest going back to stock would be a better option?

New harness is not a bad idea - especially if there not labeled, plus the longer runs.

Read and read and read . Lot of good articles written by MS /DIY TUNE, about systems and how they work together . Got to know your own cars wiring also so you implement the MS in the proper places

I'll try that, thanks

Go to the MegaSquirt forums. Join up as a member. You can download a base Map for your Turbo conversion there. You can use a 280ZX Turbo base*map.  Make sure you download a STOCK base-map. Not one pushing 20+ lbs of boost!!!

1: Be VERY conservative with Ignition timing and Boost. Best to tune the car initially with zero boost or no more than 5 PSI max. Then add a little Boost and Fuel 

2: Run a Wide Band O2 sensor. ALWAYS!! Aim for 11.0 to 11.5 AFR under boost to be safe. Be conservative on Ignition Timing.

3: Make sure your fueling is up to the task. That means properly sized injectors and a Higher Volume Fuel Pump. You do NOT wnat to run low on Fule volume and pressure on any Turbo motor.

4. Bench test your ECU and Software  before installing it on the car. Get a 12VDC power supply, a used Computer ATX power supply is sufficient.( Or a 12 volt battery on a battery charger ). Hook up  your ECU with the Harness and all sensors connected. You can do this in your workshop or living room floor. Install the software on your Tuning Laptop and play with things.  Then you can actually see how to make Base Maps for fuel and Ignition curves. Find how to calibrate sensors. Generally get familiar with the software. You can even hook up injectors or NOID lights to test things. and a spare DIZZY 

5: Buy the EFI Manual from DiyAutoTune. By Matt Cramer Jerry Hoffman . Two of the MegaSquirt guru's.  Then buy more books on EFI Tuning. Before diving into the ocean... it's best to learn how to swim!!!  

6: Consider joining High Performance Academy. A New Zealand company that specializes in teaching EFI Tuning. They have free Web-seminars that you can view online that explain how to tune EFI systems. They also have a FB page for EFI Tuners called Guild of EFI Tuners. Some fairly advanced stuff there, but worth lurking there a while and just absorb knowledge. 

https://www.hpacademy.com/

Edited by Chickenman

Go to the MegaSquirt forums. Join up as a member. You can download a base Map for your Turbo conversion there. You can use a 280ZX Turbo base*map.  Make sure you download a STOCK base-map. Not one pushing 20+ lbs of boost!!!

1: Be VERY conservative with Ignition timing and Boost. Best to tune the car initially with zero boost or no more than 5 PSI max. Then add a little Boost and Fuel 

2: Run a Wide Band O2 sensor. ALWAYS!! Aim for 11.0 to 11.5 AFR under boost to be safe. Be conservative on Ignition Timing.

3: Make sure your fueling is up to the task. That means properly sized injectors and a Higher Volume Fuel Pump. You do NOT wnat to run low on Fule volume and pressure on any Turbo motor.

4. Bench test your ECU and Software  before installing it on the car. Get a 12VDC power supply, a used Computer ATX power supply is sufficient.( Or a 12 volt battery on a battery charger ). Hook up  your ECU with the Harness and all sensors connected. You can do this in your workshop or living room floor. Install the software on your Tuning Laptop and play with things.  Then you can actually see how to make Base Maps for fuel and Ignition curves. Find how to calibrate sensors. Generally get familiar with the software. You can even hook up injectors or NOID lights to test things. and a spare DIZZY 

5: Buy the EFI Manual from DiyAutoTune. By Matt Cramer Jerry Hoffman . Two of the MegaSquirt guru's.  Then buy more books on EFI Tuning. Before diving into the ocean... it's best to learn how to swim!!!  

6: Consider joining High Performance Academy. A New Zealand company that specializes in teaching EFI Tuning. They have free Web-seminars that you can view online that explain how to tune EFI systems. They also have a FB page for EFI Tuners called Guild of EFI Tuners. Some fairly advanced stuff there, but worth lurking there a while and just absorb knowledge. 

https://www.hpacademy.com/

okay, thank you I'll try this

I agree with the most of the above statements. Frst you need to open that ecu and see what ignition input its for etc. Secondly that harness will look so fugly when trying to extend it. Either get the 8ft harness from online if you want to do it yourself. If you want a plug and play solution I got you covered. Check the group buy section here I am making a full harness to drop in for ms. 2 versions one full efi harness with all.plugs and sensors required and one with relays and fuses which will minimise more. I could also set up your ecu as well based on your hardware ifnition/ injectors base map loaded.

Edited by softopz

I agree with the most of the above statements. Frst you need to open that ecu and see what ignition input its for etc. Secondly that harness will look so fugly when trying to extend it. Either get the 8ft harness from online if you want to do it yourself. If you want a plug and play solution I got you covered. Check the group buy section here I am making a full harness to drop in for ms. 2 versions one full efi harness with all.plugs and sensors required and one with relays and fuses which will minimise more. I could also set up your ecu as well based on your hardware ifnition/ injectors base map loaded.

okay, i'll check it out again. Yeah, there's a massive learning curve with me since this is my first time actually dealing with the tuning wiring side of things! I'll let you know seems like something I may be interested in

If you could, could you explain the plug and play solution you were talking about?

Since you have the ecu I could build you the harness with all plugs and sensors. I have two versions of the harness if you check the group buy forum Also could do the hardware and software mods for ecu. That way it would be a complete drop in setup.