HybridZ

OEM Light cover crack repair

Rob L

Hey guys , recently I got scammed by a lovely japanese fellow off of Yahoo auctions japan.

He was selling a brand new oem light cover, and what i got was a used cracked light cover.

Anyways thats a whole other story...

What my question is has anybody figured out a way to stop the cracks from spreading or even fixed or glued the cracks before.

Here is a pic , im hoping its fixable or at least wont spread.

Thanks in advance

IMG_1297_zpsnl7vgtxs.jpg

You will have to drill a small hole at the leading edge of the crack, that is the only way to stop further progression. As far as repairing it, anything you'll do will most likely end up looking worse then just leaving it as is with the hole drilled. If your concerned about water leaking in, I would recommend a flexible caulking such as Lexel  (very clear and durable). Any ridged glue or the sort is likely to just re-crack with changes in temperature and vibration.

I worked with laminated glass, plate glass / mirror and plastics for 30yrs until I became a disabled Vet.  My experience tought me how to stop a 'run' in glass and lexan / plexi glass by drilling a tiny hole at the very end of the 'run', crack, so that when it continues to run, it will have to stop at the tiny drilled hole. Use the smallest drill bit you can find.

If you'd rather not test yourself by drilling a hole, you can hope it does not "run" any farther by just barely tightening that fastener where it's cracked putting least amount of pressure on that area. 

EDIT:

Sorry for repeating what you said above Svt40.  

Edited by RB26powered74zcar

In addition to drilling a -TINY- hole, it is sometimes possible to 'fill' the crack with an acrylic solvent glue.  I have the same issue with my light covers, and will be attempting the repair this summer, using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0149IG548/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used it with success in other applications, but they haven't been in shaky environments.

Ya I was trying to steer clear of the drill the end of the run trick ... but it might be my only choice .

I will also look into that solvent as well ... if both are done successfully it would be a good fix.

Thanks guys

Edited by Rob L

• 1 month later...

Ok so I attempted this, I would suggest taking your time and triple checking that your right on the mark . I thought I was on the mark but under the light the lens can be deceiving and I was just off a smidge so had to make a bigger hole.

mA99j7.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys, I make G-nose and 250-GTO light covers out of crack proof plastic. You can use any old drill bit without worry of cracking the covers.  Please email me at: mclapp5526@gmail.com or call anytime at:816-286-6982.

Thanks,

Mark Clapp

816-286-6982

250 GTO 1.jpg

250 GTO 2.jpg

Z G Nose 7.jpg

Z G nose 14.JPG