HybridZ

sds tach hook up

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello,

I am trying to hook up my stock tach to an sds system (f, with coil packs).

At the risk of being drawn an quartered... its not a z car its a 510 but

I am hoping the z car is similar and someone has done this. the stock tach has

two wires that are run in series with the coil wire. ie..... the coil wire goes into the tach

then to the coil. Is this similar to the way a stoch tach on a Z is wired? Any suggestions

Thanks

• 2 months later...

240Z and 260Z guys have to swap over to the `75-`78 280Z tachs for electronic ignition setups. This might be your situation as well. Here is a little snip from Brian Little's web page:

"280Z TACH INTO A 240Z

I would recommend getting rid of your old 240Z tach. Vintage, but not designed well, they're inaccurate and start jumping around as they age: Replace it with a 1975-78 280Z tach.

Put the new tach in the 240 metal housing, and swap the faceplates to keep the redline accurate. The needle pops off, don't damage it. A drop of rubber cement might be needed to put it back on. Don't use superglue or you'll never get it off again.

Connect the tach's sensor lug to the negative terminal on the coil. NOTE: Make sure you reverse the power leads on the back of the tach, compare them before you swap for a reference.

The little "loop plug" from the 240 tach should be plugged back into the wiring harness in the dash, otherwise the car won't start.

If you have trouble getting the tach to work, a simpler solution is to replace it with a 5" aftermarket model like Autometer makes."

Hope that helps.. What year is your 510?

Guest Anonymous

ecoli, I'm curious of an approxiamate time log of putting in the F system. When you're done, perhaps you could post how things went/trouble spots/ how long it took, I'm including tuning after this too. Are you using this with a FI system or n/a? What other systems did you opt for. I'm looking into fast idle, knock sensor, 3-bar MAP, and the lit-up LCD off the top of my head. Pics would be cool of your 510 too, they rock! rockon.gif

Good luck with your tach swap (assuming it was originally set up for points)

-980mak rockon.gif