HybridZ

Aero-mirros

DBLopez

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has done any custom work on the s130 or s30 for aero mirrors. I think the flush look of them would give better aerodynamics (obviously) than most of the side mirrors available. Problem is I know that the mirrors on s130 and s30 chassis are located on the door itself rather than on the small a-pillar.  I like this style https://www.constant-collection.com/collections/aero/products/nissan-silvia-s14-ganador-power-aero-mirrors-1  and I think if there was a way to get aero mirrors on our cars they'd give it a sleek look that would rival fender mirrors. If anyone has done this or knows a way to get these done let me know! I really would love to have these things!!

As far as aerodynamics go, the mirrors are the least of the problems with the S-30 chassis.  I feel that style-wise they would look a bit strange since they are a very modern design and rather large, but someone may be able to pull it off.  The real issue with mounting them as you stated is that the pillars are not large enough to accommodate them.  It would take quite a bit of fab work to get them to mount properly while still being pleasing to the eye.  I have seen a few folks use APR "F-1 style" mirrors which look quite good I think.  

As far as aerodynamics go, the mirrors are the least of the problems with the S-30 chassis.  I feel that style-wise they would look a bit strange since they are a very modern design and rather large, but someone may be able to pull it off.  The real issue with mounting them as you stated is that the pillars are not large enough to accommodate them.  It would take quite a bit of fab work to get them to mount properly while still being pleasing to the eye.  I have seen a few folks use APR "F-1 style" mirrors which look quite good I think.  

Do you think the mirrors would possibly look good if they directly replaced the side mirrors on the door? for instance, I notice on my 280zx that the mirrors are on the door, but if aero mirrors were to replace they could maybe be a direct fab on? I'm not sure haha 

The issue is that the aero-mirrors you posted the link too have a very large triangular mounting base (where it bolts to the a-pillar). The S-30 does not have anywhere to accommodate such a large mount. The leading edge of the door trim is very thin, and the a-pillar is also very thin. If you could make some kind of bracket to bridge the gap (angle) where the upper glass trim and the door meet, then it may work. However in doing so, a portion of the door glass will be hidden behind the mounting bracket. Mechanically, this will look strange from the inside as far as functionality. As to how it would look on the outside, I do not know. If I have some free time, I will try to photoshop an image of what I mean.

The issue is that the aero-mirrors you posted the link too have a very large triangular mounting base (where it bolts to the a-pillar). The S-30 does not have anywhere to accommodate such a large mount. The leading edge of the door trim is very thin, and the a-pillar is also very thin. If you could make some kind of bracket to bridge the gap (angle) where the upper glass trim and the door meet, then it may work. However in doing so, a portion of the door glass will be hidden behind the mounting bracket. Mechanically, this will look strange from the inside as far as functionality. As to how it would look on the outside, I do not know. If I have some free time, I will try to photoshop an image of what I mean.

If you could that would be wonderful! I'd love to see a picture even if photoshopped, rather than just an idea in my head haha     

You mention S30, what about S130? I know the pillar is still nonexistent with it, but what do you think about the door length and such things?

I imagine the S130 may be slightly easier to adapt, but I wonder if it wouldnt look as good since the S130 was a bit more angular than the S30.  Smooth curvy mirrors might look out of place on a car with a lot of sharp edges.

Here is a quick one of an S30.  Looks decent from the front.  I think the side will be where it may look odd though.

That actually looks amazing. And the reason I ask for the S130 is that I have it haha     This is something to consider...