HybridZ

Z31 booster and MC on 240Z

So I have modified a Z31 dual-diaphragm booster and also bought the MC.

-The MC has 2 outlets though for the front brakes.

-Can I plug one of the outlets?

OR

-Do I need to plumb lines separately to the front calipers?

Currently I have:

Toyota 4 pistons up front

Mustang calipers rear

Thanks, GI

Does your MC look like this?

post-178-0-93866000-1491269170_thumb.jpg

What diameter piston does it have?

You do know that it is a fast fill MC.  See the bulge on the side.  Has to do with reducing pad drag on the rotors by using "low drag calipers". Google what a "fast fill MC" is. 

With your particular caliper combination you would need a 15/16in.  to  1in. diameter MC to flow enough fluid.

Search the brake and FAQ forums to see if another member has used this MC.

Opinion: Why would you do all of the unnecessary plumbing when tried and true bolt on solutions are available.

It is a 15/16 bore MC.

-If the MC is not recommended, can I use the 280zx MC with Z31 booster.

- I have a ZX MC but thought the dual diaphragm would brake the car better since it will have a 3.0 liter in it.

-I just need to know if I can plug the one outlet and run the one to the 240Z  prop valve

Thanks, GI

-I read up on the "fast fill MC aka Quick uptake MC".

- It does not say you can use  a non-low drag caliper with a fast fill MC.

-But, it did say you cannot use low drag caliper with a regular MC.

-So my question is:

-Can I block off one of the front caliper ports, since it has 2 for the front, and run it with regular calipers?

Thanks,

GI

We did the Z32 mastercylinder and booster, as well as the z32 front and year brakes.. We drove it for about 2500 miles and a couple events.

The booster from the z32 over powered the breaks and made them very touchy. Hard to modulate. Had to go back to the stock booster and m/c.

Seems the S30 is a lot lighter and does not need the over boost. The z31 may be ok. You can only try and see.

The z32 booster is bigger. Do you have a comparison in booster size.

A one inch Wilwood MC paired with a 280Z booster is what I am using with the Toyota - 240SX combination. Pedal is not stiff. Just feels like normal power brakes.

Originally used a 280ZX MC with stock 240Z booster, but the pedal was too stiff.

There are several posts here and at ClassicZcars.com describing the 280Z booster swap.

post-178-0-54360600-1491784960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

So I have the 15/16" ZX MC mated up to the Z31 booster but the BB to MC pin seems a bit short. I usually run .020" clearance but with the original MC spacer/mount I am not even close. Does anyone make a longer rod that is adjustable?

Thanks, GI

-So my question is:

-Can I block off one of the front caliper ports, since it has 2 for the front, and run it with regular calipers?

Thanks,

GI

It's gotta be two ports just to handle the fluid volume that the calipers use.  Blocking a port should work.  But, as noted, you're kind of reinventing one of many wheels.

post-8864-0-08857200-1492282694_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 1973 with the wheel well mounted prop valve and then firewall mounted that feeds passenger front brake and rear brakes. I have been able to mount the stock 15/16 ZX booster to the Z31 brake booster. I made new lines for that. I did by an adj. prop valve.

-Is the firewall mounted proportioning valve a "damper" device of some sort. I do not know why there would be 2 proportioning valves. I did take it apart and cleaned it (wow was it nasty, both of them actually).

Thanks, GI