HybridZ

1977 280z wires identification

Hi, i am currently restoring a 280z.

The engine runs great but i found several wires cutted/disconnected.

I would need some help to identify them.

Blue/yellow wire on first picture.

And all the wires on the second picture plug.

Thanks in advance!

post-54491-0-18404900-1491769940_thumb.jpg

post-54491-0-38806500-1491769949_thumb.jpg

Edited by mforget

If you could take the pictures from a bit farther away it would help to get an idea of what we're looking at.

On the second picture that looks like it's the wiring that would normally go to the mechanical voltage regulator.  It's a common upgrade to change to the 280ZX internally regulated alternator, when you do that you need to bypass the old voltage regulator by jumping the two wires that are taped off. I've done that on my car and it's great.  There should be a pretty big black box type thing on the passenger side between the strut tower and the battery area, if that's removed then you know you've got the ZX alternator mod.

Edited by KevvinG

If you could take the pictures from a bit farther away it would help to get an idea of what we're looking at.

On the second picture that looks like it's the wiring that would normally go to the mechanical voltage regulator.  It's a common upgrade to change to the 280ZX internally regulated alternator, when you do that you need to bypass the old voltage regulator by jumping the two wires that are taped off. I've done that on my car and it's great.  There should be a pretty big black box type thing on the passenger side between the strut tower and the battery area, if that's removed then you know you've got the ZX alternator mod.

Hey, great infos there!

Ill go back to the car and take a look at this!

I will also take another picture farther away for the other blue/yellow wire.

Its near the same place as the regulator wires, passenger side, a little more toward the front of the car.....

• 3 weeks later...