HybridZ

Is there different size distributer rotors between the l28e?

grillhands

I wanted to replace my cap because I saw a big gash on the side of it. When I pulled it off,I noticed the rotor was shaved down significantly on both ends. I replaced the cap and rotor using parts from Advanced Auto and that too did the same thing. Actually it was even worse. My 75 280z died in the middle of a busy road and fortunately I has some tools with me. I checked fuel pressure, which was good. I removed a spark plug and cranked it to see no spark. I removed the brand new cap and there was no rotor! It was actually wedged on the cap. I had to use some force to pull it out. How could this happen twice? Are they giving me the wrong part? Thanks in advance.

Matt

I just looked online and Autozone has the 75-78 280z dis cap as JA944. The 79 280zx is JA940. My distributer is fairly new so I'm wondering if I got a 79 dis and when I order replacement parts they don't quite fit. Tomorrow I'll pick up a 79 cap and update my findings.

79 used the E1280, or matchbox, module on the side of the distributor, and the big six pointed variable reluctor and six pointed ring pickup.  74-78 used the ignition module in the cabin and the small six point reluctor with one or two pickup magnets in the distributor.  They are different sizes but easy to tell apart.

Could be that you have bad bushings in your distributor and the shaft is letting the rotor hit the cap.

Ok here is an update. The 280zx cap fits perfectly on my 280z distributor. I drove it around and there was no damage on my rotor or cap. I will post pics when I get home. It appears the 280zx cap has a tab to keep it in place. My 280z cap from the store had no tab to keep it steady in place.

It's not clear that you know the difference between the two, or have two different models.  Better to call them the E12 or matchbox distributor, and the external ignition module distributor, or something similar.  Since they're swappable and it's been 35+ years you might be looking at two ZX or two 280Z distributors.