HybridZ

Distributorless users or SDS F users

R0N

Thanks for looking... I'm trying to find out how you made the distributor cover when you removed the distributor.

I currently left the distributor on because without it the oil shaft goes up and down. If you just put a cover that could be dangerous because you don't want no play on that shaft. Things can break when theres play.

Thanks in Advance,

Thanks Ron. My friend who installed the SDS for me mentioned it. He said you can't just cap it. If your playing hard and the rod is bouncing, it will eventually bind with something and can cause some serious engine damage.

I would do just it for safety and I know you put some serious money into that motor.

I think I still have your pictures where you put the crank sensor and it shows the cover.

See now I have always wondered about the answer to this question.

What if you just cut the base of an old distributor off? I know it would look tacky, but it would at least offer some sort of support for the shaft.

You could always check with Top End and see what they do on the cars they put tec units on. They may have fabbed up some part for it.

Guest jcp240z

Hey Ron good to see you again at the show.

Call Dave at Rebello. He installs alot of the electramotive HPV units (ignition only) and does some type of cap. I think it may be a freeze plug. don't know if he uses a support under it.

James

I'm running SDS. I cut the oil pump/distributor shaft off above the drive gear and capped the front cover. The shaft has a bearing surface above the drive gear which runs in the front cover - I cut off the rest of the shaft above this point. 2 years and no problems. For a cover, I used 1/8 inch aluminum, cut to the shape of the dist. gasket.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your solutions. I was going to do the distributor solution by cutting at the base but changed my mind after talking to a couple of Datsun / Nissan engine builders including Rebello and Top End. Caping the distributor is ok and not to worry about the play shaft.

I cap plated mine off. Actually Randy 77zt made it for me, and what a nice job he did smile.gif

Boobala, the Electromotive aka: TEC is also distributor less. Not sure about the "Others"

Sooo.. Ron I saw your distributor was on tonight, Are you going to make a plate or plug it?

Donna

Capping them using a freeze plug can leave to problems.

My friend intalls Wolf EMS systems ( Not the other Wolfe).

They did the old cap over the dizzy hole and when they

went to rebuild the engine it was pretty twisted up inside.

The last one he did they used a bearing at the top before

they capped it I believe. He also makes a killer tube steel

sensor bracket that attaches to the side of the block.

Ok, I'm confused bonk.gif I think just to be safe I'm going to try the distributor solution again. Better to be safe then sorry.

Thanks for the input Donna but it looks like I'm going to take the safe route.

Well spudz that's interesting, I wonder how many people this happened to???

Originally posted by Doug71zt:

I'm running SDS. I cut the oil pump/distributor shaft off above the drive gear and capped the front cover. The shaft has a bearing surface above the drive gear which runs in the front cover - I cut off the rest of the shaft above this point. 2 years and no problems. For a cover, I used 1/8 inch aluminum, cut to the shape of the dist. gasket.

This is what I did, as well. However, I'm not at all convinced that it was necessary.

If you look at the construction of the front cover and the shaft, the bearing surface that Doug mentioned keeps the shaft from climbing out, anyway. Also, there is no bearing up by the distributor mount point - there is enough clearance that it would be impossible for the shaft to bind there. Perhaps if the shaft wobbled very badly it could cause a problem at the lower bearing surface, but this seems unlikely to me.

This was on a 280 front conver - perhaps older/newer engines had a different front cover design? I don't think so, though.