HybridZ

Front or Rear sump

softopz

I would say no. I have the rear sump from a 2jzge supra. Its very evident when I put the mount on the wrong holes to the block a front sump wouldnt work. Thats not to say that CX racing isnt using a front sump, however the motor will not sit as far back or low as the rear sump. And in racing low and closer to the center of gravity the motor is the better the car handles. 

Yes but we already know that the CX racing mounts dont sit the lowest or rear placement, You cant adjust for height on those mounts from what I know and in side to side it doesnt give that much play. The question was more to see if a front sump will work with CX racing mounts.

^yup what he said, that is just the upper pan bolted to the motor. With the lower pan in place you would have to remove the steering front cross member. 

CX mounts put the motor too high and offset. The reason is to leave more room for the intake manifold from what I can gather. You get about 1-2 inches of play so it is mobile (need to flip plates etc), but to run a front sump you would have to shift the motor about a foot forward if not a bit more and it definitely won't do that. You could raise the engine a good 3-4 inches, but then you have no chance of closing the hood or installing the transmission without entering the cabin. 

Bottom line, you pretty much need a rear sump unless you plan on running a custom cross member with a rear steer setup like project ardvark if I'm not mistaken.

• 3 weeks later...