HybridZ

I have a 1975 280z and am about to order some aftermarket ignition components (for more reliable spark at high rpm). The ZStore recommends the Pertronix Flame-Thrower I for the coil. However, the OE coil that's in there now only has s 0.8 ohm primary resistance, where as the recommended has 1.5ohms. Are your coils about the same as mine or is it supposed to be closer to 1.5 ohms? If the former, wouldn't it be better to go with a 0.7ohm msd blaster 2? Even the 0.6 ohm Flame-Thrower II would be closer.

I am not planning on bypassing the ballast resistor.

Edited by Oblithian

Your stock 1975 has electronic ignition already and the specs are probably better than the Pertronix.  Pertronix is old technology, it's not "high energy".  You'd be going backwards.  

If you want a stronger spark you should change to a 1978 module or convert to a GM HEI module, or MSD or Crane.  Besides that, I don't think that Pertronix makes a part for a 1975 280Z distributor.

Are your coils about the same as mine or is it supposed to be closer to 1.5 ohms?

If the former, wouldn't it be better to go with a 0.7ohm msd blaster 2? Even the 0.6 ohm Flame-Thrower II would be closer.

You edited the original post so it's not clear that you even asked a question.  But here's an answer to your edited post.

#1.  My coil is a GM HEI coil.  It has a primary circuit resistance of about 0.5 ohms (edit - changed from 0.8.  Forgot about meter leads.).  My ignition system is not the factory system.

#2.  Your first question is actually two questions in one so can not be answered.  Plus you haven't given enough detail about the rest of the system.

You said that you're getting "ignition components".  Plural.  But you only mentioned one coil.  What are the other parts you're getting?

Sorry.  It's just not clear what you're trying to do, or planning to do.  The 1975 system is an electronic ignition system but it's low power.  Swapping to a different coil might get a stronger spark but will probably cause your ignition module to fail due to the higher current.  The systems are old and failure prone, after all of these years, even in stock form.

If you're planning a stronger ignition system there are many different ways you can go.  Swapping the coil to a Pertronix coil isn't the way to do it.

Edited by NewZed

Just realized that you said reliable, not stronger.  The stock 1975 coil's primary circuit resistance is apparently 0.45 to .055.  So, just thatching that range would be the way to go to find a replacement.  But it won't be more reliable, unless your old one is failing.