HybridZ

ANOTHER Datsun Z/LS3/T56 Swap Thread

I've started cutting up the rear quarter fenders to make room for the large tires and fender flares.

I have to say, cutting up rust free 45 year old OEM bodywork gives me a bit of pause....but that is my path....😯

qD6vwcx.jpg

Eux6QSy.jpg

Wouldn't it create better airflow to put a flat filter upright in front of the tubing where it passes the radiator, rather than a sharp 90°-bend?
I'd imagine that that bend seriously messes with the airflow.

1 hour ago, Max_S said:

Wouldn't it create better airflow to put a flat filter upright in front of the tubing where it passes the radiator, rather than a sharp 90°-bend?
I'd imagine that that bend seriously messes with the airflow.

I have no doubt there are better ways I could have done it....but I am not visualizing exactly what you mean....?

4 minutes ago, Ironhead said:

I have no doubt there are better ways I could have done it....but I am not visualizing exactly what you mean....?

Just a quick paint-sketch:
Using a filter of this shape....

preview.jpg

...placed about there, flat against the flange where you now attached the 90° angled-bit (or maybe a bit further forward).

Filter.jpg

That takes one 90°-bend out of the route the air has to take, leading to a bit less turbulance in my understanding.

While removing the bend would be beneficial the filter would be too small and you would loose flow and some hp. Even if the filter was 10cm by 10cm which is probably bigger than what would fit there it would be rated to less than 100hp.  If you could fit a velocity stack filter on in place of the one you have it could net some good benefits however.

1 hour ago, EF Ian said:

While removing the bend would be beneficial the filter would be too small and you would loose flow and some hp. Even if the filter was 10cm by 10cm which is probably bigger than what would fit there it would be rated to less than 100hp.  If you could fit a velocity stack filter on in place of the one you have it could net some good benefits however.

I agree Ian, but after perusing the 'net so far I haven't been able to find one that would both fit and be an improvement.  Vibrant makes a bell-mouth velocity stack with a 4" flange...what I would need...but the outer edge of the stack is 7" OD and thus far I have not found a filter that large.  I could modify the stack down to 6" OD, then weld on 6" tube for the filter...but I haven't really made a final decision yet.

Most velocity stack/filter combos I could find are made to be used in downdraft mode on top of a 4-barrel carb...and not only would not work in my application....but they also use a very small filter.

Pipercross probably makes a large foam filter that would work, but given a choice I would rather stick with the K&N style filter.

As with everything on this build...it is a work in progress.

Edited by Ironhead

I finished the modification to the driver's side rear quarter, for large tires and flares....

I know some variation of this mod has been done to every "Z" car with flares, but I have to say I found it surprisingly difficult.  Lots and lots of welding the thin OEM sheet metal in awkward positions.  Lots of holes burned through the OEM sheet metal.  Lots of repairing these same holes.  But I got it done.  Now I have to do the passenger side.😆

YKDq5Tp.jpg

JZOGaaX.jpg

SfxKL97.jpg

eZGdlkc.jpg

uw6tNtf.jpg

Z3QXyKd.jpg

1 hour ago, LLave said:

You may have already stated this but, what flares are you running?

After a horrible experience with Carbon Signal:  

I ordered the 240YZ rear flares from ZTrix, and could not be happier with the fit and quality of them.  So that is what I am using in the rear.  They fit over the 315 wide tires perfectly (which is to say...just barely...LOL).  They were cheaper than Carbon Signal, and came from Arizona instead of Dubai.  I am still trying to remember what the hell I was thinking ordering from Carbon Signal...

Fronts will be Ztrix parts as well...either IMSA or YZ or some combination.

Thanks for the kind words. 

Edited by Ironhead

End results look good though.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:51 PM, Ironhead said:

As with everything on this build...it is a work in progress

They all are. I really want to run a v stack filter setup on mine but can't find anything with a small enough size (2.5" tube from each turbo) I am hoping to find somewhere that can make me something that could be used with a k&N filter and this would involve a lot of searching to find the right one.

I've been working on the muffler arrangement for the past few days....

I wanted to use "straight through" (Magnaflow style) mufflers, but from past experience have learned that unless you can throw quite a bit of volume at the system, these mufflers usually result in an obnoxiously loud car.  I mean, I don't mind if it is a bit loud....but I knew that was inevitable...so I figured the quieter I can make it, the better.

That was the challenge here, finding space for reasonably large mufflers, and this is what I came up with.  These are a pair of #12259 Magnaflow 3" in/out mufflers.  They look small in the pictures but they are pretty respectably sized units.  The entire system is going to be dual 3", but I am going to use some oval 3" tube under the rear suspension to keep some reasonable amount of ground clearance.

For reasons of style/pageantry...I wanted the tailpipes to exit together in the center of the rear of the car, but this proved impractical/impossible.  It would have required quite a bit of additional tube routing, and with multiple 3" tubes you run out of space really fast.  The biggest problem is that all the tubes would have completely covered the jacking hardpoints I included on the bottom of the fuel cell mount.  My original plan was also to orient the mufflers front to back...but with the tubing factored in there just wasn't enough room for them that way...so I wound up mounting them sideways.

Obviously the mufflers are directly below the fuel cell.  I am going to put a layer of that hi-tech stainless steel heat shield material between the mufflers and the fuel cell mount, in addition to which there will be two layers of sheet metal between the mufflers and the fuel, and multiple air gaps....so I really don't think this arrangement will warm the fuel very much.  Besides, there was absolutely no other place the mufflers would fit....so....off I went.

Thanks for looking. 

EFat102.jpg

4Oj7AEK.jpg

pn903KQ.jpg

SYqLOwU.jpg

ireuZ98.jpg

GrPYNtG.jpg

0aC5yhD.jpg

jDDs4Fw.jpg

NJsXwpz.jpg

Edited by Ironhead

29 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Nice treatment on the tips and the SS surround, are you using any resonators?

Thanks.

I want to use resonators...if I can find some really compact ones and make the "X" pipe section short enough that they will still fit.  Time will tell.  I am looking at these:  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1794

The problem is that the trans tunnel isn't wide enough to use them side by side....but if I stagger them, with the "X" pipe...I run out of room lengthwise.

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that deal with Carbon Signal. What a shame. 

The YZ kit will look amazing. Darius' car was incredible with that kit. 

Great work withe the exhaust. There really is not much room back there. That is part of the reason I went with 2.5" I just couldn't figure out how to get it all to fit. Resonators up near the xpipe are my backup plan to adjust the sound. They can help with LS rasp, should you end up with any. 

1 hour ago, rossman said:

I love the stainless surrounds around the tips. Did you custom make those?

Yeah....I figured somewhere I would be able to find off-the-shelf parts that would work, but I couldn't.  They were made from two pieces of thin stainless welded together then the weld joint ground smooth.

Still working on finishing the exhaust system.  I got the X-pipe finished to bolt up to the headers.  The hangers bolt to brackets I added to the Hoke transmission cross member, to support the front of the system and prevent putting too much stress on the headers.

There is no escaping the fact that ground clearance will be in short supply.  The lowest point on the exhaust system hangs about 1.5" lower than the frame rails, so it will be prone to damage.  When I built the headers I could not conjure any way to tuck the header collectors up any higher, so it is what it is.  The car is not going to be any sort of daily driver, so basically I am just going to have to avoid speed bumps, crowned curbs, etc.  I probably also will have to resist the temptation to grossly lower the ride height.

kzKb3m1.jpg

9BhPAA3.jpg

hk3gwUe.jpg

27eKfBz.jpg

Finished the rear muffler assembly.

Looking at it now, it seems a bit over-engineered, but it was the best way I could come up with to have some silencing volume, and use the space I had available.  Basically I just have to connect the two oval pipes to the "X" pipe, and I am going to try to install a couple of resonators somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for looking.

Fc9epZ9.jpg

jtjzCHO.jpg

Ou2P78v.jpg