HybridZ
Ironhead

ANOTHER Datsun Z/LS3/T56 Swap Thread

I finally got a coat of paint on the hood that I am going to live with.  It looks great in the pictures, less perfect in person, but I am not going to repaint it again any time soon.

hk8CvLB.jpg

w44x4Nl.jpg

Painting a car piece by piece....

UPtBniC.jpg

I spent a good portion of today reading and looking through the pictures you have posted in detail. Trying to get an idea (or a couple) of what I’d like to do with my project. I just picked up a 1977 280z roller yesterday. I must say your craftsmanship is top notch. Inspiring to say the very least. Keep up the great work. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:18 PM, JD280Z said:

I spent a good portion of today reading and looking through the pictures you have posted in detail. Trying to get an idea (or a couple) of what I’d like to do with my project. I just picked up a 1977 280z roller yesterday. I must say your craftsmanship is top notch. Inspiring to say the very least. Keep up the great work. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Thanks JD, much appreciated.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, LLave said:

Looks great. Would you do it again, or job it out? 

Thanks.

I would do it again...so far....but that assessment has a few conditions.  I have not started on the main lump of the body/chassis yet, and with all the nooks/crannys and difficult angles, it might prove challenging in its own way.  Although....Most of it will also be simpler as there isn't much body work to do in the interior/engine bay/underside of the car, etc.  Just a matter of epoxy prime then paint with single stage.

Then, if you wanted to pay someone to do this, there is the issue of finding someone you trust.  Painting a car like this, where every inch was brought to bare metal, is a big job and would be very expensive based upon time alone.  It takes a lot of paint too, and I have roughly $4K invested in primer/sealer/base/clear because I wanted to use good quality product that hopefully will be durable and last.  It terrifies me to think of the vast number of corners that could be cut by someone doing this job for money...which would increase their profit and not be noticable until too far down the road for them to be held accountable.  Those sorts of concerns are basically why I DIY anything I possibly can....I have trust issues.

It is frustrating though.  Every single piece I have painted has flaws of one sort of another.  They are minor, and will probably be invisible when the car is assembled, but they still bug me.

Edited by Ironhead

On 7/29/2020 at 9:01 PM, 280Z-LS3 said:

Ironhead, after you paint like 10 more cars you'll have all minor details/kinks worked out.  LOL!

I commend your efforts, looks great!

Thanks.

In my case, probably more like 100 cars....  For example, I have yet to clear anything without having any runs.  Fortunately runs are pretty easy to fix, but I sure would rather not have them in the first place....

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, 280Z-LS3 said:

The clear coat looks really good in the pics.  Did you figure out how to minimize runs?

I have figured out how to minimize them, but not completely eliminate them.  I'm sure you know the problem.  It is a very, very fine line between a nice wet coat of clear that smooths out nicely, and a coat that sags and runs....

Mainly I have become skilled at sanding/polishing out runs.  I used to live by the "you don't have to be a good welder as long as you are a good grinder".  Now that I'm painting, it's "you don't have to be a good painter as long as you are a good sander...."  LOL

It's all good though.  I'm mostly happy with how it's all coming out.  My labor correcting my screw-ups is free.  If I worked at a shop though, where time is money, my ass would promptly be fired.

Edited by Ironhead