HybridZ

Oil pump for mild enduro race car? Stock NA is fine?

turbogrill

Hi,

I am building an enduro race car with a ~200hp NA engine.

Do I need something else than stock NA pump? Engine is a fresh build.

Seems like most people have issues with oil pressure at idle, I will spending most of the time in 4000-6000.

From what I understand the AT turbo pump has more pressure at idle but at high RPM it's about the same.

Turbo pump has more volume. If you want more pressure you can put stiffer relief springs in. I ran a turbo pump with both Nismo springs and had my oil pressure gauge pegged at idle when cold. It was ridiculous. Then I took one of the hi po springs out and put a stock one back in, so I had one stock and one Nismo, and that gave pretty good pressures. 

Would probably be fine with stock, or you can shim the spring a bit to increase the pressure a little if you want.

• 4 weeks later...

I've run stock non/turbo/manual pumps on a ZX turbo engine for years.

That said, I pulled one off a non-destroyed KA24 truck engine  and it looks pretty big.

There is a thread...............

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/98987-l6-oil-pump-differences/

Sadly, photobucket has ruined it.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

We  Road Raced with  stock Nissan NA pumps for years back in the mid 70's. Before the Turbo pumps ever existed. More than enough pressure and volume even when used with oil coolers. Sometimes we'd use a small washer on the inside of the cap nut to shim the Bypass springs a little.  That was the go to Wet Sump set up back then and it worked very well.

The Nissan Competition bypass  springs were usually too stiff. One competition and one stock spring worked well as JMortensen has already mentioned.  

The old rule of 10 lbs per 1,000 RPM ( 20 lbs minimum at idle )  with Hot oil still holds true today. Anything over that is just wasting HP and putting more stress on the drive gears.  

Edited by Chickenman