HybridZ

This is a question I've been trying to find the answer to for a while but can't seem to find it on any forums. I have a 1977 280z Datsun. Finishing my restoration and would like to know what is the absolute widest it is possible wheel/tire combo to go on a 280z without running flares and cutting. If you could leave full specs including offsets as well. Thank you.

Depends on whether or not you're running 2.5" OD coilovers or the OEM struts.  Currently running 225/50R16 on 16x8 wheels +0 offset with OEM struts, cut springs and koni inserts.  The fit is very tight.

Do some searching and you'll be able to find some information about tire/wheel sizes on this forum.  

Here are some good places to start: 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/58528-wheel-show-post-your-pics-of-you-wheels/

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/69623-the-strut-thread-koni-illumina-tokico-carrera-bilstein-ground-control/

Edited by baby_Carlton

I'm running 16x8, +26mm offset rims in my 240z, 245/45/16 tires at all 4 corners, on 2.5" OD coilovers. Iirc I've also got 3/4" wheel spacers on the rear. I also rolled all 4 fenders and am running -2.8f / -2.3r camber to make it all happen. 225 is safer/easier, but 245 is possible if you're willing to build your entire suspension / break setup around it, and pay for a custom 4-wheel alignment.

If you've already got 16x8 to fit, you can probably run 245/45s on them without clearance issues. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone going 16x9 without flares, though. The closer to 0 you are, the more likely you are to hit the fender, and the more positive you go, the more likely to hit the spring. If you go with 2.5 OD springs/coilovers, you'll get a bit more clearance. I'd mock it all up and measure a _lot_ before buying anything. Ideally, see if you can find someone with 16x9 rims that'll let you temporarily borrow one for a test fit.

16x8 with your current tires is most likely the widest you're going to be able to feasibly use without modifying your fenders or using the perfect offset.  Just be happy with your wheel size and if you're going for a certain stretch then size down your tires.  I used to run 205/45R16 BFG Sport Comp 2s but 215s or 205/50s should be good also. 

Edited by baby_Carlton
  • Like 1