HybridZ

Cheap Coilover mod

So I just recently purchased a s130, and I was wanting to put coilovers on the car. However, I noticed some people have used coilover sleeves and cut the struts on the car to make a modified coilover.

Such as this https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-brakes-wheels-suspension-chassis-81/how-make-%2450-front-coilovers-37341/.

However I notied that my car has KYB struts. Would I be able to use the KYB and do this mod?

Also, has anyone else done this and have any experience on it? Ebay kit , or too cheaply made?

So what you see in that thread is how you have to do the fronts. The rear however need something completely different since Datsun decided to go with an all-in-one strut tube. What techno toy tuning is doing is using a clamping thing to basically act as the perch for the coilover sleeve. 

The Kyb struts can be used if you go this route, but you'd have to get springs matched to them, which would kinda defeat the purpose of going with coilovers.

Personally I don't like either of those ideas, which is why I opted for a full s13 suspension.

All in all, I spent maybe $600 on used s13 coilovers, welding and powdercoating the front strut tubes, and custom rear tophats. I'd say that's pretty cheap. 

So what you see in that thread is how you have to do the fronts. The rear however need something completely different since Datsun decided to go with an all-in-one strut tube. What techno toy tuning is doing is using a clamping thing to basically act as the perch for the coilover sleeve. 

The Kyb struts can be used if you go this route, but you'd have to get springs matched to them, which would kinda defeat the purpose of going with coilovers.

Personally I don't like either of those ideas, which is why I opted for a full s13 suspension.

All in all, I spent maybe $600 on used s13 coilovers, welding and powdercoating the front strut tubes, and custom rear tophats. I'd say that's pretty cheap. 

Would these work in the zx https://i.ytimg.com/vi/TbCA4k1zQSI/maxresdefault.jpg ?

They are JDM Nissan Silvia 180SX S13 TEIN TYPE HA Coilovers Suspensions 240SX

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

there are ways around this.  S13 rears bolt right in if you modify the top mount to fit in the 280ZX strut tower.  the fronts.... require a bit more modification.  I've stalled in the middle of putting S13 front hubs and coilovers on my 280zx using mostly off the shelf parts and the stock 280ZX lower control arm.  the only piece of the puzzle I havent figured out yet is the fact that I need a longer tie rod.  Inner or outer, doesn't matter, it just needs to be longer by about 2 in on each side.  But then I will be able to run 300zxtt big brakes by simply bolting them on and full S13 coilovers with the height adjustability  independent of pre load.  

• 2 weeks later...

You can duplicate the TTT rear coilovers fairy easy. 

S13 AGX rear shocks. KYB 741017 Shocks For 89-94 Nissan 240SX Rear LH or RH 

Clamp On 2 Bolt Steel DOM Fabrication Clamp 1.75" Roll  from eBay

Springs and threaded coil over sleeve

The only tough part is making the top hat, I turned my stock top hats down in a lathe. You could do it in a grinder.  

PM me if you want more info.