HybridZ

Car Shows

Phantom

post-263-0-19469700-1500346683_thumb.jpgAs much as I enjoy competing my car -1/4 mile, autocross, hillclimb, etc. I've slacked off as my car has aged along with my budget. I do, however, get a lot of enjoyment taking my well thrashed daily driver to car shows and sharing it with other people.

Disclaimer: I do not, however, go to Nissan/Infinity shows.  I attend the good old local "anybody can come" car shows that are dominated by classic Detroit iron here in the NW. Here's what I've found out:

1) Most people either have owned a Z, wanted to own a Z or had a friend or family member that owned a Z and they really like them.

2) They actually think that an LS1 under the hood of an S30 is way cool rather than heresy.

3) They are impressed that someone has brought a "daily driver" rather than a garage queen and somewhat overlook the 96,000 miles of road rash on the 20 year old paint job.

4) They love the fact that someone stands up and shares their passion about all things Z and shares the story of their car. They even grin a bit when I tell them I just swapped one L series motor for another L series motor. Out with an L-28 and in with an L-S1.

5) Judges seem to actually add points to a car for being a daily driver. I'll never get a "best of show" but I've gotten two firsts and one second in class in the last three shows beating out a lot of cars that were prettier but didn't have the "character" mine does  - or an owner that stands and talks to people and lets kids sit in the car rather than sitting in a chair behind the car and talking to his buddies. 

There are a few at every show that see an old S30 in a very new light and they more than make up for the guy that says: "It would be worth more with the stock six". That's not really true with a 280Z with 244,000 miles on it but to each his own.

Edited by Phantom

I havnt entered my car in any shows that actually give out awards yet, but I do enjoy going to the "Cruise Ins" and being usually the only import there.  The paint on my car is pretty rough, but mechanically it is solid and I usually get a lot of positive interest in it.  Living on the East Coast, I have never been to a car meet with another Datsun, but just like you almost everyone I talk to has owned/ridden in/wanted/or known someone who owned one.

I went to a pretty big local show of the same kind this summer with recently stripped and patchy paint and light body filler on the car. Aside from being a straight body and 95% of visible rust taken care of with new metal, the thing looked kinda junky and ratty. Very obviously a work in progress.

I was surprised by how many people stopped to look or walked by saying "oh, a Datsun, these things were sweet!" a lot of people told me stories of the ones they owned. It got more attention than the very nice Mustang California Special it was parked next to, that I thought was much much nicer.

• Like 1

If you go to a judged car show - stand by the car and talk to people. One of my favorite things is to watch the faces of young kids and see them light up when I tell them to go ahead and sit in the car. (Disclaimer: Don't let young boys under the age of 5 in your car. They will want to pull, twist and yank on everything they can get their hands on.) I had one young girl -roughly 10 years old - that her mother literally had to drag her out of the car. That made the whole show for me. For you young guys it's a way to start a conversation with some good looking chicks - seriously - I'm an old fart and it works for me. It sows good will into the community and a helps create positive attitude toward our rides.

I couldn't agree more. I've taken more crap from Z owners than any other group.  If it isn't  " A Z31, yucch." to "Why would you screw up a perfectly good Nissan?"  At regular shows people are more interested in how the work was done.  Don't get me  wrong, most purists are like that. As if I were someone who actually gave a s**t.  post-249-0-92965400-1500665996_thumb.jpg